Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Assaf <as...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/07 18:23:48 UTC

Malicious host is crashing my server

Hello,

I have a recurring visitor (from a fixed IP
address: bzq-79-177-23-102.red.bezeqint.net) who is constantly visiting my site
and EACH time causes the server to crash. My server actually gets a JDBC begin
failed error for the next http calls.

Analyzing the logs, I cannot find out what is wrong. I can see it is a script as
he is visiting the same pages in the same order (never downloading
images/css/js). The only thing that I have noticed that is different with this
user are the http headers he uses:

"Expand HTTP read ahead 1.0"

I could not google anything about those. I am running tomcat 6.0.20 on linux
with mysql.

Anyone has an idea what this can be? How to find out? Also, what can I do to
better protect?

Thanks,

Assaf

Re: Malicious host is crashing my server

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
Use ngrep, tcpdump or wireshark to look at what he/she is requesting. If it is SQL injection you should rewrite your query's to use PreparedStatements.

Ronald.

Posted by Assaf <as...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 07.11.2010 18:23, Assaf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a recurring visitor (from a fixed IP
> address: bzq-79-177-23-102.red.bezeqint.net) who is constantly visiting my site
> and EACH time causes the server to crash. My server actually gets a JDBC begin
> failed error for the next http calls.

Can you elaborate what you mean by "crashing my server" and "JDBC begin
failed error"? It is very unclear to me. The solution might well depend
on the problem observed ;)

Regards,

Rainer

RE: Malicious host is crashing my server

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
wireshark culprits can bypass your filter this by changing ips

much better to:
1)encrypt your data BEFORE you put it on the wire
http://www.mobilefish.com/developer/bouncycastle/bouncycastle.html
2)Implement SSL on Tomcat
http://mircwiki.rsna.org/index.php?title=Configuring_Tomcat_to_Support_SSL

Martin Gainty

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.

Posted by Ziggy <zi...@gmail.com>.
That number is not necessarily the IP address used to connect to your
server.

Posted by Assaf <as...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Darryl Lewis <da...@unsw.edu.au>.
What do the server logs actually show? What do the database logs show?
Depending upon the database, turn on the maximum level of debugging to see what they are issuing.

It might even be a crawler doing this accidentally. Can you access the same pages in the same order with no ill effects to the server?

On 8/11/10 6:42 AM, "Marc Boorshtein" <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any cookies or headers?

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.
Any cookies or headers?

Posted by Assaf <as...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
the culprit will change IPs

are you implementing SSL?
are you encrypting your data before putting on the wire?

Martin

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.