Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Peter Cheung <mc...@hotmail.com> on 2019/10/13 22:06:12 UTC

energy consumption

Hi All
    Netbeans 11.1 eat up the notebook battery so fast. My macbook pro 15 can only stand for 1.5 hour max. Does the group has any plan to optimize it?
Thanks
From Peter

Re: energy consumption

Posted by Peter Cheung <mc...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you all gentlemen
________________________________
Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

RE: energy consumption

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
This could be due to any number of issues that cause high CPU utilization--it might be very specific to your use case.

So the first step would be to identify cases where you see NetBeans is using a lot of CPU resources, and try to figure out what is going on in each case.

-- Eirik

    Netbeans 11.1 eat up the notebook battery so fast. My macbook pro 15 can only stand for 1.5 hour max. Does the group has any plan to optimize it?
Thanks
From Peter

Re: energy consumption

Posted by Peter Cheung <mc...@hotmail.com>.
Hi, my macbook pro is 2016 early.

Thanks
From Peter
________________________________
Posted by Steve Hannah <st...@weblite.ca>.
Curious what year MacBook Pro?  I have a 2012  that really churns for
netbeans.  And a 2015 that runs with no issues.  Have never been able to
narrow down why the 2012 has to work so hard but I think it’s Java related
and not Netbeans specific.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 5:56 PM Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is likely due to a bug that causes the Swing framework to use the
> high performance graphics chip instead of the integrated graphics chip.
>
> Unfortunately, I think the way that the NetBeans launcher works, the bug
> is unavoidable. The process that is using the CPU is not the main process
> of the NetBeans application bundle. I think that makes the workaround
> ineffective.
>
> Scott
>
> > On Oct 13, 2019, at 6:06 PM, Peter Cheung <mc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >    Netbeans 11.1 eat up the notebook battery so fast. My macbook pro 15
> can only stand for 1.5 hour max. Does the group has any plan to optimize it?
> > Thanks
> > From Peter

Steve Hannah
Web Lite Solutions Corp.

Re: energy consumption

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: energy consumption

Posted by Peter Cheung <mc...@hotmail.com>.
i am using SSD.

Thanks
From Peter (System Architect, Quantr Limited)

SSD or "spinning rust" disk?  That could make a big difference, though the
GPU issue likely has something to do with it.

-Tim

--
http://timboudreau.com

Re: energy consumption