Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Or Sher <or...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/29 12:11:29 UTC

Atomic savepint and cancel

Hi,

I'm a bit new to Flink and I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to
make an upgrade for my current running topology without having duplicate
messages being sent by the the sink. (One time prior the upgrade and one
time after).

I thought that the "atomic" part of the savepoint & cancel suggested that i
can just take a savepoint and cancel the job at the same time and later on
start from that savepoint and that would be it.

Having tried that, it seems that I got many duplicated messages sent by the
kafka producer sink again after the restore from savepoint.

Is that suppose to happen?
Did I misunderstood the "atomic" meaning?

Thanks,
Or.

Re: Atomic savepint and cancel

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
Hello,

savepoint&cancel is in general not an atomic operation, it only
guarantees that no other checkpoint will be completed between the
savepoint and the job cancellation.

You can only guarantee that no messages are sent out if you used a sink
that supports exactly-once, which as far as i know, in the case of
Kafka, is only possible with the upcoming 0.11 connector (PR).
<https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/4239>