Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Viji Subramanian <Vi...@corp.aol.com> on 2008/06/20 03:09:28 UTC

proxy and concat proxy urls

I see that the proxyUrl  has been hardcoded to /gadgets/proxy?url= and
concat proxy hardcoded to /gadgets/concat?  - for instance in the
DefaultContentRewriter class.

Can this be moved to gadgets.properties as

urls.proxy.prefix=/gadgets/proxy?url=
urls.concat.prefix=/gadgets/concat?

similar to urls.iframe.prefix...so that we could use @Named guice
injection .. for the above two..

I already have an app deployed in tomcat.. with  <Context path=""
docBase="mymainapp" />  and when I deploy shindig as a separate app in
tomcat,  the proxy and concat proxy calls gives me a 404.. as proxy url
is missing the appname..

http://hostname:8080/gadgets/proxy?... - 404...it has to be
http://hostname:8080/<my shindig app>/gadgets/proxy?url=...

Adding the above would give me the flexibility to specify
urls.proxy.prefix=<my shindig app>/gadgets/proxy?url=..  ...

I had to make the above change to fit my needs.

any thoughts..

thanks

Re: proxy and concat proxy urls

Posted by Viji Subramanian <Vi...@corp.aol.com>.
Kevin Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Viji Subramanian <
> Viji.Subramanian@corp.aol.com> wrote:
>

>> I see that the proxyUrl  has been hardcoded to /gadgets/proxy?url= and
>> concat proxy hardcoded to /gadgets/concat?  - for instance in the
>> DefaultContentRewriter class.
>>
>> Can this be moved to gadgets.properties as
>>
>> urls.proxy.prefix=/gadgets/proxy?url=
>> urls.concat.prefix=/gadgets/concat?
>> similar to urls.iframe.prefix...so that we could use @Named guice injection
>> .. for the above two..
>>

> Yeah, this is a real pain -- I had to work around it already for our
> deployment. Louis was going to move this into a config file, but he's on
> vacation right now.
>
> The right thing here is going to be to have a *single* entry in the
> properties file for the context root, with everything else being relative to
> that. That requires cleaning up at least 4-5 places though, so it's not a
> trivial update.
>
> Hard coded urls are bad. Let this be a lesson for anyone who adds new ones
> in the future :).
>
> Go ahead and open a JIRA ticket on this issue so that it isn't forgetten.

We ended up using apache ModRewrite  instead of changing the shindig code..

nevertheless, hardcoded urls have to be cleaned up..

the ticket key is SHINDIG-400

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-400

thanks

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.