Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jacqueline Radebaugh <jr...@loc.gov> on 2006/08/21 20:06:34 UTC

Keeping text together in two different table cells

Hello:

I have created a table in XSL-FO where the output should look like:

$a    Name of $a
$b    Name of $b

My XSL-FO code is:

<fo:table table-layout="fixed" width="100%">
<fo:table-column column-width="40mm"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="10mm"/>
<fo:table-body>
<fo:table-row>
    <fo:table-cell>
  <fo:block>
<xsl:text>$</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="label"/>
</fo:block>
     </fo:table-cell>
     <fo:table-cell>
<fo:block >
<xsl:value-of select="name"/>
  </fo:block>
  </fo:table-cell>
    </fo:table-row>
</fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

My XML code is:

<subfield>
<label>a</label>
<name>Formatted contents note</name>
</subfield>

Unfortunately, sometimes the <name> data exceeds the line of the column and flows on over to the next line.  When this happens, my output columns resemble:

$a    Name of $a that goes over the
line and ruins my columns.
$b    Name of $b

I would like the output to ultimately look like (where the <name> data is aligned):

$a    Name of $a that goes over the
         line and ruins my columns.
$b    Name of $b

but I do not know how to do this.

Is there a way to maintain the alignment of the table columns when the <name> data runs down to the next line?

Thank you very much for your help!  I sincerely appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Jackie Radebaugh

Library of Congress
Network Development & MARC Standards Office
Washington, DC
USA
Phone:  +1-202-707-1153
FAX:  +1-202-707-0115
E-Mail:  jrad@loc.gov

Re: Keeping text together in two different table cells

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Aug 21, 2006, at 20:06, Jacqueline Radebaugh wrote:

Hi,

> <snip />
> Unfortunately, sometimes the <name> data exceeds the line of the
> column and flows on over to the next line.  When this happens, my
> output columns resemble:
>
> $a    Name of $a that goes over the
> line and ruins my columns.
> $b    Name of $b

Sorry. I seem to be unable to reproduce the problem. :/

What version are you using? Can you please post the FO (not source
XML and XSLT template)?

Feeding FOP Trunk the following as input

<fo:table-cell>
    <fo:block>$a</fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>
<fo:table-cell>
   <fo:block>Name of $a that goes over the line and ruins my columns</
fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>

The second line of the second cell is neatly aligned with the rest.

Cheers,

Andreas