Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2009/03/18 00:52:07 UTC

Global openejb: jndi namespace (Re: How to use JBPM with openEJB?)

On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:14 PM, David Blevins wrote on users@openejb.a.o:

> The looking up of things from java:openejb is one of those areas
> that needs improvement.  Going to see if I can't get somewhere with
> that now.

Been digging around our IvmContext implementation trying to see if I
can't improve our situation in regards to people attempting to look
things up (mostly transaction manager and datasources) globally from
JNDI.  Sort of added something in the 3.1 release, but it really only
worked when constructing the InitialContext outside of an ejb
component and not using the LocalInitialContextFactory.  It was a tiny
improvement but still nowhere near what users need.

So far been hacking on a new "openejb:" jndi prefix which basically
points to "containerSystem.getJNDIContext().lookup("openejb")"   Seems
more reliable than going with a "java:" prefix as in other
environments, like Tomcat, it's already taken and would require
special integration to get working via "java:".  Seemed this way we're
guaranteed to get control of the prefix in the vm and the lookups
should work everywhere there is a local openejb container system.

Still kind of hammering on it, but it's looking good so far.

-David