Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/06 05:58:50 UTC

Finding tools in the toolbox

One of the most difficult part of dealing with FlexJS and beads is knowing what beads are available and what beads are interchangeable.

I think we need a system to programmatically be able to look up bead and strand relationships. This could be used by documentation as well as tooling to give hints as to what beads to use.

I think there’s been some discussion already on this, but I’m kind of fuzzy and it probably needs some more.

Harbs

Re: Finding tools in the toolbox

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I'm not sure what is possible in Flash Builder.  I honestly don't use
code-hinting in FB because I know the APIs pretty well.  If FB with the
regular Flex SDK can offer allowed values for properties, then it should
be possible to offer allowed values for the bead property, although I
think that is done via Metadata and thus won't offer some third-party
offering we didn't know about at framework compile time.

Similarly, if FB already offers refactor via replace, it also probably
relies Metadata and using the same metadata tags on framework classes
should work.

I am hopeful that Josh's VSCode support and other folks who are supporting
FlexJS IDEs will offer more dynamic and powerful support for this kind of
code-hinting.

In FB, if you package DITA files in the SWCs, FB will offer ASDoc in its
code hinting.  I have not had time to see how good the DITA output is that
Christofer Dutz worked on and try to package it in the SWCs.  Maybe a
volunteer can help with that.

HTH,
-Alex

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.