Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org> on 2006/11/15 18:43:43 UTC

different threshold for one address

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure  if this question should go to this list , my apologies if that
is the case.

My setup  is as follows;

BSD box gets all incoming SMTP traffic, then forwards to exchange server- no
"mailbox" per say holds any mail-

My goal is to is have one email address bounces@ , which can have a different
score threshold than the system- in other words ,  anything that now comes in
and scores higher than 6.0  is considered spam and rejected- I would like to
have  bounces@ set to lets say  12.0 ,reason being that most of our  field
offices are in 3rd world countries and many of the people we deal with have a
hard time getting email to us be it because their ISP may be on an RBL list
and /or the ISP have no RDNS , etc..

So what I intend to do is modify the rejection notice to something like

"your message was flagged as spam, if you need to contact someone please send
an email to bounces@fcimail.org with the word bounced in the subject line"

Or something along those lines, I thought of whitelisting the address but
that's will kill my machines.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions  would be  greatly appreciated

Jean-Paul Natola
Network Administrator
Information Technology
Family Care International
588 Broadway Suite 503
New York, NY 10012
Phone:212-941-5300 xt 36
Fax:  212-941-5563
Mailto: Jnatola@Familycareintl.org

Re: different threshold for one address

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
A quick and dirty way to do it is to look for that address in the
ToCc fields. Then give that rule a modest negative or positive score
according to the adjustment you wish.

It won't catch bcc mail. But if you put a filter in where the envelope
still exists you can trigger a special header markup for that address
even if it comes in Bcc.

{^_^}

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm not sure  if this question should go to this list , my apologies if that
> is the case.
>
> My setup  is as follows;
>
> BSD box gets all incoming SMTP traffic, then forwards to exchange server- no
> "mailbox" per say holds any mail-
>
> My goal is to is have one email address bounces@ , which can have a different
> score threshold than the system- in other words ,  anything that now comes in
> and scores higher than 6.0  is considered spam and rejected- I would like to
> have  bounces@ set to lets say  12.0 ,reason being that most of our  field
> offices are in 3rd world countries and many of the people we deal with have a
> hard time getting email to us be it because their ISP may be on an RBL list
> and /or the ISP have no RDNS , etc..
>
> So what I intend to do is modify the rejection notice to something like
>
> "your message was flagged as spam, if you need to contact someone please send
> an email to bounces@fcimail.org with the word bounced in the subject line"

Hi,

You are going to have to tell use what you use as an MTA on that server.

It's quite easily done with simscan for Qmail but we can't say how to do
it if we don't know what you are using.

Regards,

Rick

Re: different threshold for one address

Posted by "Peter H. Lemieux" <ph...@cyways.com>.
Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> My goal is to is have one email address bounces@ , which can have a different
> score threshold than the system- in other words ,  anything that now comes in
> and scores higher than 6.0  is considered spam and rejected- I would like to
> have  bounces@ set to lets say  12.0

Create a file /etc/mail/spamassassin/whitelist.cf that contains this rule:

header TO_BOUNCES	To =~ /bounces\@/i
description TO_BOUNCES	Whitelist mail to bounces mailbox
score TO_BOUNCES	-6

Now messages arriving for bounces start at -6, so they'd need 12 SA
points to reach your threshold of +6.

If you only want to whitelist bounces@your.domain, you might want instead
to use /bounces\@your\.domain/ in the rule above.

Peter