Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> on 2004/08/31 06:46:24 UTC

Jelly and a new beta release

>From JIRA there is one issue remaining for beta 4 :

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JELLY-47

which seems to be a dom4j related issue.

I'd like to do a new release of Jelly ASAP and start planning the next beta.

If anyone has bugs they'd like fixed for the beta or *urgent* new
functionality, please say so ASAP so we can finalize this release.

Re: Jelly and a new beta release

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm a strong +1 on this.

Should we start working towards a release candidate next? What sort of new
features/major issues are there outstanding?

- Brett

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
I'll wait a few more days for feedback from this email, and unless
there's a blocker in jira, the plan is to release beta-4 early next
week, and then start work on RC1, with the focus on bug fixes for core
only.

Once core goes into RC1, the plan is to do the same for all taglibs as
well, so that they can be released independently.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
The CDATA test case fails on dom4j 1.5-rc1 because the CDATA test is
escaped and we explicitly ask for it not to be.

This is a bug, and I'm happy delaying the use of dom4j, or working
with them to fix the bug for 1.5.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
How important is it ?

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:43:20 +0300, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
> I would try to close it but I can't...
> This was dom4j related, there's a unit-test in there for it now.
> It is fixed since we're using dom4j 1.5.
> Sadly, however, taglibs and core don't use the same version and this
> could be an issue...

I fixed the taglibs and core being out of synch with dom4j. Do you
know where the unit test is?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
do you really need to ask? :)

+1

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Cool.

I'll file the classloader issue as a bug to be fixed for the beta
release, and once done, get it happening.

Thanks for participating!

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Dion,

I'm pretty sure the release of a beta will, itself, bring new
interests. I've met quite many people, even in my little research
community, which have considered jelly as a serious candidate but have
stopped at some time or another because of the non-arriving release...

Jelly was a biest, at least from its maven aspect, and you have done
quite a good job, I think, into making the jelly project in better
shape for its build and overall exterior appearance. The amount of bugs
left has been well reduced and I think we all have a better
possibility, now, to go towards a release.

thanks for that!

paul

Posted by S Schrem <ss...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

> issue against JEXL
> > for this one anyway.
> >
> > > org.apache.commons.jelly.JellyContext
> > >     Should discern between variables with a
> value of
> > > null and variables that don't exits.
> >
> > Done in CVS.
> >
> > > org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.core.UseBeanTag
> > >     Better management of bean storage. i.e. It
> is up
> > > to the subclass (in processbean, after
> invokeBody) to
> > > decide whether to store the bean or insert in in
> the
> > > tah hierarchy.
> >
> > Sounds like a reasonable enhancement. File an
> issue.
> >
> > > More controversial, have bean based tags look
> for a
> > > parent BeanSource with a bean of the approriate
> type
> > > rather that a parent Tag of a specified Type.

=== message truncated ===

Re: Jelly and a new beta release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
if necessary, it should be easy to retrofit dynabean support to
whatever jelly ends up using.

dynabeans are cool - in fact clazz with it's custom meta-data takes
dynabeans a stage further. what would be very cool is support for
pluggable introspection meta-data.

- robert

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Hans Gilde <hg...@earthlink.net>.
[...]

complain. I also don't know if we want an XML attribute a.b to resolve to
getA().setB() but... it makes the whole thing a little more complicated.

Also, the "set" tag (sets a bean property on a parent bean tag) relies on
BeanUtils to resolve the property name and BeanUtils uses BQL, which we
definitely want.

So, in short, Jelly uses BQL in some cases but not in most cases. And it
behaves the same in any case.

Hans

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Hans Gilde <ha...@earthlink.net>.
BeanUtils looks good to me too, for generic bean operations. I can't see
replacing it, it seems to works great.

Jelly does have a few situations that want non-standard string-to-property
mappings, like int properties that want names instead of integer values in
the tag attributes.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Pfffiou... that's not a small buglist.

Dear S. Schrem,

I think releasing a beta would actually have prevented most of these
bugs you encounter to have occurred as you would have taken the beta. I
think we should consider your report as a +1!

Anyways... My [+1] btw.

Many of the bugs you seem to be reporting have been (maybe partially)
tackled and it would be great to get working together...
Using a big of scripting wizardy (or maybe only a drop or rsync), it
sounds easy to to update your source-tree, sadly most probably with
conflicts, so that you could submit patches...

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
that's a fine list :)

in short, since it's a beta we're talking about, i'd say: ship it now!

but let's resolve as many as possible for the next beta. i now
routinely take release branches even if the release is intended to be
just a short way off since it allows coding to continue at it's pace.

- robert

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Any comments?

Posted by S Schrem <ss...@yahoo.com>.
[x] -1 - No, don't release! Here's why....

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Ok,

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.