Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org> on 2005/08/09 16:36:21 UTC

weird authentication problem

hi all!

while setting up a slide repository i came across this strange problem:
it appears that slide accepts ANY password for any user in the system.
my config is not very different from the standard slide 2.1
configuration, so i don't see how this could have happend. i have been
modifying ACLs and also created new users by adding directories in the
/slide/users dir and setting their password property.

has anybody had this problem before?

 Edmund

Re: weird authentication problem

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
Michael Oliver wrote:

>It sounds to me like you actually didn't turn on security or you are using
>one realm and setting values in another, but no we have several instances
>and several different authentication and security options including Tomcat
>realms, slide realms and JAAS/JNDI realms, they all work, without showing
>this behavior.
>
>Michael Oliver
>CTO
>Alarius Systems LLC
>6800 E. Lake Mead Blvd, #1096
>Las Vegas, NV 89156
>Phone:(702)643-7425
>Fax:(702)974-0341
>*Note new email changed from oliverm@matrix-media.com

it used to work for me as well. i have no idea what i did to my slide
server to cause this behaviour.
i'd really like to know, so i can avoid it in the future.

this is from my slide.properties:
# Automatically perform security checks
# Default : true
org.apache.slide.security=true

and that's from the server.xml:
        <Context path="/slide" debug="0" privileged="true" useNaming="true">
          <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm"
            appName="slide_login"
            userClassNames="org.apache.slide.jaas.spi.SlidePrincipal"
            roleClassNames="org.apache.slide.jaas.spi.SlideRole"
            name="Slide DAV Server"
            useContextClassLoader="false" />
        </Context>

looks fine and pretty much standard to me. i didn't change anything
about the security-store either.
slide version is 2.2pre1.

slide won't allow me to login without a valid username. it's just that
the password doesn't matter.