Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com> on 2011/08/18 14:49:35 UTC

Notes for working on mapreduce trunk after the MR-279 merge.

MR-279 branch is merged into mapreduce trunk and this changes things a
bit for developing on mapreduce.

You can get all the help that is needed from the INSTALL file at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-mapreduce/INSTALL.
Reproducing some of those contents here for the short-term lookup.

------------------------------------
Checking out source code
------------------------------------
svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-mapreduce

--------------------------
Directory structure
--------------------------

trunk/
  - hadoop-mapreduce ( was mapreduce before)

trunk/hadoop-mapreduce - Classic code. JT/TT reside here
 - build.xml
 - src

trunk/hadoop-mapreduce/ - New code related to yarn reside here.
 - assembly
 - pom.xml
 - hadoop-mr-client
 - hadoop-yarn - Yarn APIs, libraries, and server code
   -- hadoop-yarn-api
   -- hadoop-yarn-common
   -- hadoop-yarn-server - Server code, ResourceManager, NodeManager,
server libraries and tests.
      --- hadoop-yarn-server-common
      --- hadoop-yarn-server-nodemanager
      --- hadoop-yarn-server-resourcemanager
      --- hadoop-yarn-server-tests
 - hadoop-mr-client - MapReduce server and client code
   -- hadoop-mapreduce-client-app
   -- hadoop-mapreduce-client-core
   -- hadoop-mapreduce-client-jobclient
   -- hadoop-mapreduce-client-common
   -- hadoop-mapreduce-client-hs
   -- hadoop-mapreduce-client-shuffle

-----------
Building
-----------
Building yarn code and install into the local maven cache.
 - mvn clean install
 - In case you want to skip the tests run: mvn clean install -DskipTests

Building classic code once yarn code is built.
 - ant veryclean jar jar-test  -Dresolvers=internal

----------
Eclipse
-----------
 1) For hacking on the new yarn+MR code in eclipse, you should run
"mvn eclipse:eclipse" and then import the checked out source root as a
maven project.
 2) For developing on classic JT/TT code, running "ant eclipse" and
importing as java project should continue to work.

Hope that helps. If you run into issues, please send an email or
create a JIRA issue.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Re: Notes for working on mapreduce trunk after the MR-279 merge.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Was off the grid due to illness.

Yes. But we will need separate sections for pre-23 and post-23 Hadoop. Will
do so.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Good idea. Created http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/DevelopingOnTrunkAfter279Merge

Please feel free to edit it. Once it stabilises, we can move the
content over to HowToContribute and/or something like
HowToBuildAndInstall.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Notes for working on mapreduce trunk after the MR-279 merge.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
It's working now. I did a pull which shows the following commits:

commit cec7fc69876fb6bd50612c9282299ac94af6ab70
Author: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>
Date:   Thu Aug 18 14:10:12 2011 +0000

    Updating CHANGES.txt to reflect fixes from MR-279 branch that came
into trunk when merging the two of them.

    git-svn-id:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk@1159232
13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68

commit 46702790df8d61c18ba8ace768cc7bc6b7318c0a
Author: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>
Date:   Thu Aug 18 11:07:10 2011 +0000

    MAPREDUCE-279. MapReduce 2.0. Merging MR-279 branch into trunk.
Contributed by Arun C Murthy, Christopher Douglas, Devaraj Das, Greg
Roelofs, Jeffrey Naisbitt, Josh Wills, Jo

    git-svn-id:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk@1159166
13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68

+Vinod

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Todd.

mahadev

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Todd!

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I just built and brought up mrv2 on a single node cluster.  I was
successfully able to run wordcount from the mapreduce-examples after adding
the following config change to my mapred-site.xml.  Without this change it
was still trying to contact the jobtracker.

<property>
<name> mapreduce.framework.name</name>
<value>yarn</value>
</property>

I'll file a jira and update the INSTALL doc.

Tom