Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2008/08/19 17:56:35 UTC

GSoC code import

Hi all,

Qpid has a really awesome piece of code developed for us by Lahiru
Gunathilake (one our of GSoC students) we'd like to bring in-tree.
He's already got an ICLA on file, as he's a committer to
ws.apache.org. Do we need to go through the formal code-grant process
to do this? It's a fairly large chunk of code, but is quite
self-contained and has an available public history at
http://code.google.com/p/lahirugsoc2008/

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt

RE: GSoC code import

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Aidan Skinner wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Aidan Skinner wrote:
>>
>>> Qpid has a really awesome piece of code developed for us by Lahiru
>>> Gunathilake (one our of GSoC students) we'd like to bring in-tree.
>>> He's already got an ICLA on file, as he's a committer
>>
>>> Do we need to go through the formal code-grant process
>>> to do this? It's a fairly large chunk of code, but is quite
>>> self-contained and has an available public history
>>
>> Is he going to be a QPid Committer and do the commit himself?
>
> He isn't currently, although obviously that would be ideal. If that
> was the case, would we not need to to do the grant?

> The code was developed entirely outside the ASF SVN repo, but largely
> [on] the qpid-dev list.

I am not sure that there is a legal basis for the request given the
circumstances -- Sam or Roy could comment --  but it certainly would not
hurt for him to submit a software grant.  And, from the sound of it, you
should vote on him to be a Committer on the project.

	--- Noel

Re: GSoC code import

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>
>> Qpid has a really awesome piece of code developed for us by Lahiru
>> Gunathilake (one our of GSoC students) we'd like to bring in-tree.
>> He's already got an ICLA on file, as he's a committer
>
>> Do we need to go through the formal code-grant process
>> to do this? It's a fairly large chunk of code, but is quite
>> self-contained and has an available public history
>
> Is he going to be a QPid Committer and do the commit himself?

He isn't currently, although obviously that would be ideal. If that
was the case, would we not need to to do the grant?

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html says "Any code
that was developed outside of the ASF SVN repository and our public
mailing lists must be processed like this, even if the external
developer is already an ASF committer." The code was developed
entirely outside the ASF SVN repo, but largely (there were some
private emails and IM conversations) on the qpid-dev list. I was kind
of assuming that the repo part of that was the important part of that
statement.

RE: GSoC code import

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.