Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2016/04/13 17:20:20 UTC

Console consumer group id question

So, I know I can put group.id in the consumer.config file, but I would like to reuse the same config file for multiple groups in testing.  I *thought* this would work:

kafka-console-consumer.sh --bootstrap-server <servers> --new-consumer --consumer.config <consumer.properties path> --topic <topic> --property group.id=<group-id>

That doesn't produce an error, but it also ignores the group.id property and generates a group id, which doesn't have access to the topic I'm testing against.

So, *should* that work?  If not, why not?  Maybe it's just a bug?

Also, why is --bootstrap-server required when I have it set in the config file?  The console producer has a similar issue that --broker-list is required despite bootstrap.servers being in the config file.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Re: Console consumer group id question

Posted by Gerard Klijs <ge...@dizzit.com>.
The options can only be used to set "The properties to initialize the
message formatter." You have several options, you could use different
properties fils, with only the group.id being different. Another option is
use a .properties.template, with a  group.id=<group-id>, and with a batch
script first set the group.id and create a new .properties file, and then
call the kafka-console-consumer.sh. If your server is always the same you
would only have to pass the topic and the group to your script.