Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2007/04/12 04:14:18 UTC

Re: s in UIMA descriptors

Adam Lally wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I agree that people may be using it.  I haven't seen it used in a while,
>> but that doesn't mean anything.  If we don't plan on removing the
>> feature, why should we deprecate it?
>>
>> The name is because we wanted no difference between Java and C++
>> descriptors.  System properties are the way to do env vars in Java.
>> System env vars are deprecated in Java.  So I'd vote to leave things as
>> they are.  If the CDE doesn't support this (documented and I assume,
>> working) feature, maybe we should add that support?
>>

> BTW, System.getEnv is no longer deprecated in Java 5.  But I'm not
> sure that really helps us, since at present we're still committing to
> support Java 1.4.
>
> -Adam

In Java 1.4, although it's marked as deprecated, it is available.  And
it's no longer
deprecated in Java 5 or Java 6.  So we could change this to
access environment variables directly, right?  Then it would match the
C++ impl.

-Marshall

Re: s in UIMA descriptors

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 4/11/07, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> > BTW, System.getEnv is no longer deprecated in Java 5.  But I'm not
> > sure that really helps us, since at present we're still committing to
> > support Java 1.4.
> >

> In Java 1.4, although it's marked as deprecated, it is available.

But I believe it does not actually work. :(

-Adam

Re: Installer in UIMA Apache

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> On 4/15/07, Benjamin Sznajder <be...@il.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used until now the IBM UIMA (from watson's site) and I am passing
>> now to
>> the Apache version.
>> I permit myself to suggest the following:
>> In IBM version, the user was able to download the installer that made
>> for
>> him all the work. Why there is not such utility in Apache's version,
>> namely
>> an installer that would set the desired property values?
>>

> Primarily this is because InstallShield is not free, and now that
> we're at Apache we prefer using freely available tools to build our
> distribution.  There might be a free alternative we could try (I
> haven't looked), but it doesn't seem to be common among Apache
> projects to provide an installer.
>

>> In addition, I think that there is no clear information about how to
>> install the UIMA Sdk. In fact, there is no real intuitive place where
>> the
>> user can find this information. It is only said "by the way" in the
>> documentation.
>>

> The README is intended to provide this information.  Is there any
> important information that you could not find there?
>

>> And a last question: why is the README file (in the zip) with no
>> suffix ?
>> Why .txt is not suitable?
>>

> It seemed to be a common Apache convention, although it's not an
> absolute rule and some other projects do use .txt.  I don't feel
> strongly about it either way.  Anyone else have an opinion?

My opinion is to use .txt - it makes the Eclipse IDE (and maybe others)
behave better :-)

-Marshall

Re: Installer in UIMA Apache

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Benjamin Sznajder wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Refering to your mail, I think that the user is not "aware" about this
> README file. You may mention its existence in the download page, maybe?
>
> Benjamin

Hi Benjamin -

We're trying to attract additional people to contribute to UIMA.  You've
made some good suggestions, and I'd like to invite
you to contribute a "patch" for our webpage, changing it in the way you
think it would best communicate this information.

If you do that, I'll review it quickly and get the web page updated.

Thanks for your help!  -Marshall

Re: Installer in UIMA Apache

Posted by Benjamin Sznajder <be...@il.ibm.com>.
Hi Adam,

Re: Installer in UIMA Apache

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Installer in UIMA Apache

Posted by Benjamin Sznajder <be...@il.ibm.com>.
Hi,

I used until now the IBM UIMA (from watson's site) and I am passing now to
the Apache version.
I permit myself to suggest the following:
In IBM version, the user was able to download the installer that made for
him all the work. Why there is not such utility in Apache's version, namely
an installer that would set the desired property values?

In addition, I think that there is no clear information about how to
install the UIMA Sdk. In fact, there is no real intuitive place where the
user can find this information. It is only said "by the way" in the
documentation.

And a last question: why is the README file (in the zip) with no suffix ?
Why .txt is not suitable?

Best regards and congratulations to all for this work!!!

Benjamin

Re: s in UIMA descriptors

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 4/13/07, Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And yet the UIMA SDK run_configurations depends on the environmental
> variable UIMA_HOME:
>
> "-Djava.util.logging.config.file=${env_var:UIMA_HOME}/config/Logger.properties"
> -DVNS_HOST=localhost
>
> Are we being hypocritical here, using environment variables in Java
> when convenient but saying that others should not?

_Applications_ can use all the environment variables they want.  I
just don't think it's nice for reusable components to require them.

The UIMA framework itself has no environment variable dependency,
these are used only by top level applications/tools, and are
referenced in scripts or run configurations that launch those tools,
not from Java itself.

However, I'm willing to admit that an annotator can access environment
variables (in its code) if it really needs to, and that this may be
necessary for wrapping certain 3rd-party components.  But I just don't
think it's a best practice, and am not sure UIMA needs a special
feature to allow environment variable references in its descriptors.
Let people access them through the Java API if they really need to.

-Adam

Re: s in UIMA descriptors

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
And yet the UIMA SDK run_configurations depends on the environmental
variable UIMA_HOME:

"-Djava.util.logging.config.file=${env_var:UIMA_HOME}/config/Logger.properties"
-DVNS_HOST=localhost

Are we being hypocritical here, using environment variables in Java
when convenient but saying that others should not?

Eddie

Re: s in UIMA descriptors

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Re: s in UIMA descriptors