Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/04/07 14:38:14 UTC

[axis2] Changes on the 1_2 branch

Hi all:

Just checking in - is everyone who's making changes on the 1_2 branch
merging them over to the trunk?  We don't want to fix bugs only on the
branch, lest they come back to bite us later down the line....

If you've made fixes for the release and HAVEN'T yet merged them over,
please consider doing so soon.  Otherwise, please ignore this friendly
reminder.

Thanks,
--Glen

Re: [axis2] Changes on the 1_2 branch (VOTE)

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi, sorry, I've been away from the list. Thanks for expanding on this
and yes I guess we don't want to *rely* on non-committers in order
that we can close off JIRAs. Getting their feedback is of course
useful.

I'm +1. I have a comment though:

On 14/04/07, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
[...]
> This way the only times we make fixes directly on the release branch are
> as follows:
>
> * For release-specific fixes (references to version number, taking out
> SNAPSHOTs, release notes, etc)
>
> * For post-release bug fixes - IF the trunk has moved on in an
> incompatible way (if the bug hasn't been fixed on trunk it should as per
> usual be fixed there first and merged)

If a user requires a fix in a branch surely they'll require it there
whether it is compatible with the trunk or not. In fact I thought the
release branches are typically closed once the release is out, then
the trunk is used for the next release.

> Otherwise, everything that goes into the release branch should be a
> merge over from the trunk.
>
> Sound reasonable?

Sounds good. I think this will give more flexibility in the timing of
taking a branch from the trunk to do a release. History has shown the
branch stays alive for longer than expected. Tracking which branches a
fix goes to will hopefully prevent the need for a 'big merge' back to
trunk - which is never pleasant.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: [axis2] Changes on the 1_2 branch (VOTE)

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Axis-dev'ers:

Any commentary on this?  Votes?

--Glen

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Folks:

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
I guess, we need to cut the branch only at the last minute?

-- dims

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Yes, trunk first and then branch later seems the right thing to do.
> The RM can choose which fixes go into branch.
>
> thanks,
> -- dims
>
> On 4/14/07, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
>> Hi Afkham!
>>
>> Afkham Azeez wrote:
>> > Do the fixes in the branch need to be necessarily carried out on the
>> > trunk as well. I'm asking this since we'd be merging the code in the
>> > branch with the trunk eventually.
>>
>> The problem is that the longer we go without merging, the more likely it
>> is we'll have conflicts, or heaven forbid fix the same problem twice (if
>> someone working on trunk hasn't noticed that the bug has been fixed on
>> the branch, say).  It also becomes much more of a pain to have one
>> person do a giant merge where they don't necessarily have intimate
>> knowledge of all the conflicts, as opposed to the people making the
>> individual fixes simply merge them over when they're fresh in the mind.
>>
>> Also, we always want the trunk to carry the latest fixes and
>> improvements so people can move forward there without having to wait for
>> a big post-release merge to pick up fixes.  In fact, I think it likely
>> makes the most sense to fix bugs on the trunk *first*, and then merge
>> those changes over to the release branch, rather than the other way
>> around.
>>
>> --Glen

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [axis2] Changes on the 1_2 branch (VOTE)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Afkham!

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
Do the fixes in the branch need to be necessarily carried out on the trunk
as well. I'm asking this since we'd be merging the code in the branch with
the trunk eventually.

-- Azeez

On 4/13/07, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy!
>
> This sounds like a great policy to me.  Can we VOTE on this and then
> make sure we get a serious "Developer Guidelines" page on the website
> (right now that link just gets you a mail guidelines page), including
> this, coding conventions, build policies, etc...?
>
> I'd remove the third bullet though.  I don't think we want to put that
> much responsibility on the reporter - they're not necessarily Axis2
> developers, they might just be poor users with bugs.  The reporter
> should check that the version they're using has been fixed and the
> assignee should have already taken care of any cross-branch merging
> before resolving the issue.  I don't ever want to get into a situation
> where we blame someone who's not on the team for not verifying something.
> :)
>
> That said, +1 from me!
>
> --Glen
>
> Jeremy Hughes wrote:
> > Just a thought ... could JIRA be used in a way that means we can see
> > that fixes put into a branch have also gone into the trunk, rather
> > than assuming it. e.g. for a JIRA that needs to be fixed in 1.2 branch
> > and trunk, set the 'fix for' field of the JIRA to be both "1.2" and
> > "nightly" (which I assume represents trunk). Then ...
> >
> > * It's the RM's responsibility to ensure all the JIRA's being fixed in
> > 1.2 have both "1.2" and "nightly" values in the 'fix for' field.
> > * It's the assignee's responsibility to check in the fix to all the
> > branches in the 'fix for' field.
> > * It's the reporter's responsibility when closing the JIRA to check
> > that the fix has been checked in to all the branches in the 'fix for'
> > field.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jeremy
> >
> > On 07/04/07, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all:
> >>
> >> Just checking in - is everyone who's making changes on the 1_2 branch
> >> merging them over to the trunk?  We don't want to fix bugs only on the
> >> branch, lest they come back to bite us later down the line....
> >>
> >> If you've made fixes for the release and HAVEN'T yet merged them over,
> >> please consider doing so soon.  Otherwise, please ignore this friendly
> >> reminder.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --Glen

Thanks
Afkham Azeez

http://www.wso2.org

Re: [axis2] Changes on the 1_2 branch (VOTE)

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Jeremy!

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.