Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Marco Pallante <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/17 21:43:44 UTC

Rivet 2.1.1 on CentOS

Hello everyone,

I need to install Rivet on a CentOS 6 server, but the download page (from
OpenSuse)
list only the 2.0.6 version. I've almost no experience on rpm based
distros, so I'd like
to know whether the 2.1.1 packages from other systems (openSuse or Fedora)
may
work.

A similar problem holds for Tcl itself. CentOS package delivers the 8.5.7
version, which
is a little old, so I'd like to use a newer release, if it's easy and safe
to use rpm from
another distro.

Thank you for you kindly help,

Marco Pallante

Re: Rivet 2.1.1 on CentOS

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Not only Tcl 8.5.7 is old but first of all Rivet 2.1.1 wouldn't build
with it. It requires strictly Tcl >= 8.5.10: this is the version for
which they changed the way shared libs are loaded (previously they could
create symbol clashes that resulted in weird faults)

  -- Massimo

Re: Rivet 2.1.1 on CentOS

Posted by Marco Pallante <ma...@gmail.com>.
Harald,

Thank you very much for your report. Now that it's sure I need to compile
all by myself, I'll surely go with Tcl 8.6.

Bye,

Marco

Re: Rivet 2.1.1 on CentOS

Posted by Harald Oehlmann <ha...@elmicron.de>.