Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Matei Zaharia <ma...@eecs.berkeley.edu> on 2012/01/31 01:28:03 UTC

Spark User Meetup in San Francisco

This is a somewhat late announcement, but I thought it might be interesting to people on this list. We're holding the first user meetup for Spark (www.spark-project.org), the in-memory cluster computing framework that lets you do interactive and iterative data mining on Hadoop data, in San Francisco tomorrow evening. The meetup will include a Spark tutorial and a case study on applying Spark from Quantifind (www.quantifind.com). Here are the event details:

http://www.meetup.com/spark-users/events/49094602/

Please register in advance if you'd like to attend, as space (and food) is limited.

For those who don't know Spark, the main things it provides are:
- Ability to load data in memory and query it 10-20x faster than with MapReduce.
- High-level API in the Scala programming language, which lets you run functions on distributed collections the same way you do on local ones.
- Good performance on iterative applications (e.g. graph processing or machine learning) by keeping data in memory across steps.

More details can be found at www.spark-project.org.

Matei