Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/22 09:03:11 UTC

[VOTE] Release jena-larq 1.0.0-incubating (RC-1)

Hi,
here is the vote on a release build for Jena LARQ 1.0.0

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejena-100/

Proposed files and structure to merge with existing dist/ area:
http://people.apache.org/~castagna/merge-jena-larq-1.0.0-RC-1/

Keys:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jena/KEYS

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/Jena2/LARQ/tags/jena-larq-1.0.0-incubating-RC-1/

The module is tagged with the version and "RC-1" to denote the first release candidate for this release cycle.  If voted on successfully, the tag will be changed ("svn mv") to the same name but minus
the RC-1.

Please vote to approve this release:

  [ ] +1 Approve the release
  [ ]  0 Don't care
  [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

This vote will be open to the end of

  Sunday 26/March 23:59 UTC
  (72 hours from the same hour tonight).

Paolo

Re: [VOTE] Release jena-larq 1.0.0-incubating (RC-1)

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
>   [ ] +1 Approve the release
>   [ ]  0 Don't care
>   [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

+1

Paolo

Re: [] Release jena-larq 1.0.0-incubating (RC-1)

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Benson Margulies wrote:
> Here's another +1.

Thank you Benson.

Next step is to call a [VOTE] on general@i.a.o. I'll do that.

Paolo

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Here's another +1.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andy

Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 22/03/12 18:28, Paolo Castagna wrote:
>
>> LARQ isn't distributed as a binary .zip distribution to be used by
>> non developers. I removed the shell scripts, now mvn package will
>> create a one jar which can be used to run commands easily.
>
> I tried mvn package and it puts the with-dependencies in target.Am I
> right in assuming that means for releases from now there'll also be a
> with-dependencies.jar in the maven release repository?
>
> You need to sort out the N&L files. The current N&L apply to the LARQ
> jar and are fine. For the with-dependencies jar you'll to put in
> different N&L files for the consolidated set of dependences as you now
> redistributing other binaries as well as Jena code.

Good point.

Actually, another option would be to provide a way to generate the
with-dependencies.jar but not publish that in the Maven repository.

Shell scripts were broken (my fault) and nobody complained. :-)

> See Fuseki ... but that is only one way of doing it and I am not saying
> that it is the right for LARQ.

Yep.

Paolo

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andy, thanks.

Andy Seaborne wrote:
> the LICENSE file ends with:
> [[
> The Apache License, Version 2.0 applies to the following libraries:
> Apache Lucene
> ]]
> but I don't see why.

Removed.

> * RAT:
> org.apache.jena.larq.TestLuceneNRT has no license
>   (I recently (13 March) fixed this in SVN)

My mistake, I missed that update.

> * Scripts
>
> The script bin/larq does not run
>    (classpath does not get set properly, no instructions on website)
>
> This works:
> mvn -q exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="larq.larq" \
> -Dexec.classpathScope=runtime  -Dexec.args="--help"
>
> except no log4j and it's clunky.

LARQ isn't distributed as a binary .zip distribution to be used by
non developers. I removed the shell scripts, now mvn package will
create a one jar which can be used to run commands easily.

Updated the README.txt file with instruction.
I'll update the website as well.

> Suggestion: Either hide in documentation or fix.
>
> * Website
>
> Make documentation quick link "LARQ - Free Text Search"

I did this, but I shouldn't have... now we have a serious problem
in staging... the navigation bar does not work because all "_"
became "-". I don't know why.

And, I do not know if I can revert that, because of the buildbot.

I tried to ask #asfinfra this morning, but I am not sure that is
the best channel (no reply). I'll try different channels.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
+1 with comments

Details:

== source-release zip:

* .asc, md5 and sha1 all correct.

* NOTICE looks good.
* LICENSE looks OK but ...

the LICENSE file ends with:
[[
The Apache License, Version 2.0 applies to the following libraries:
Apache Lucene
]]
but I don't see why.  Lucene is not shipped and is no different to
various other libraries used by, but not shipped with, LARQ.

* RAT:
org.apache.jena.larq.TestLuceneNRT has no license
   (I recently (13 March) fixed this in SVN)

* Scripts

The script bin/larq does not run
    (classpath does not get set properly, no instructions on website)

This works:
mvn -q exec:java -Dexec.mainClass="larq.larq" \
-Dexec.classpathScope=runtime  -Dexec.args="--help"

except no log4j and it's clunky.

Suggestion: Either hide in documentation or fix.

* Website

Make documentation quick link "LARQ - Free Text Search"

== jar from staging:
LICENSE and NOTICE look good

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release jena-larq 1.0.0-incubating (RC-1)

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
This vote passes with 3 +1 from PPMC members:

PPMC:
Andy Seaborne
Paolo Castagna
Benson Margulies