Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com> on 2013/09/24 23:58:59 UTC

AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

I downloaded a fairly large spreadsheet from this location
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
but when I try to open it with AOO the progress line shows about a
quarter of it being loaded and then AOO stalls and I have to use the
Task Manager to cancel soffice. This is using AOO 4.0 on a Windows XP
Pro/SP3 system. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong will be
appreciated.
Dick Hoffman

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> quarter
> >> Manager to
> Any
> >>

> >> Hi Dick,
> >>
> >> I can confirm the problem you report with AOO 4.0.0.   But I then
> >> tried with AOO 4.0.1, a newer version which should be officially
> >> released soon.  It was able to load that XLSX file.  It was slow, but
> >> it did fully open.  When I saved it as an ODS file, OpenOffice's
> >> native format, subsequent opens were much faster.
> >>
> >> I can send you the ODS version if you want.  Or you can try again with
> >> AOO 4.0.1 once that releases.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > @Rob -- what OS are you using, given Julian's comment on this as well.
> >

> Windows 7, 32-bit.
>
> > I tried 4.0.1., Linux-32, and well basically gave up at the (about) 25%
> > load status.
>
> For me it "stopped" there as well.  I took a phone call, and when I
> checked again the document was open.  Check your CPU and see if it is
> still showing the soffice process as active.
>
> -Rob
>

> > I will try again.

Well, after about 10 mins, this finally completely loaded for me -- WHEW!

> > --

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

RE: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
I opened that 32,000+ row Cornell file as an XLSX in 15 to 20 seconds.  To
peek at it, I turn CELL WRAP on, and saw that some cells had massive amts of
text.  I'm running W/7 on a 5 or 6 year old HP.

Maurice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by LYNN BRUBAKER <ly...@sympatico.ca>.
help.  I don't know how I got on this email list but can someone get me off.

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On 24Sep  2013, at 11:08 PM, Joe Conner <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded a fairly large spreadsheet from this location
> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
> but when I try to open it with AOO the progress line shows about a
> quarter of it being loaded and then AOO stalls and I have to use the
> Task Manager to cancel suffice.

Note that you can also download a CSV version which I suspect would import with no hassle.  Has anyone tried?

--
jt@jt-mj.net   http://jt-mj.net
We do precision guesswork.

Fwd: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Urmas <da...@gmail.com>.
"Alexandro Colorado":

I have found issues with the XLSX formats which doent follow a unique
convention, XLSX that have been auto-generated or generated programatically
differ from the ones programatically generated.
This also look like a very poorly designed table,

LOL, whiteknights are so annoying.

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I have found issues with the XLSX formats which doent follow a unique
convention, XLSX that have been auto-generated or generated programatically
differ from the ones programatically generated.

As I looked into the file, it seems that the amount of rows is greater than
the amount AOO support. This also look like a very poorly designed table,
so the CSV is completely useless.  I think this was generated as an
afterthought rather than as a propper datasource.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I downloaded a fairly large spreadsheet from this location
> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/**clementschecklist/download/<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/>
> but when I try to open it with AOO the progress line shows about a quarter
> of it being loaded and then AOO stalls and I have to use the Task Manager
> to cancel soffice. This is using AOO 4.0 on a Windows XP Pro/SP3 system.
> Any suggestions as to what might be wrong will be appreciated.
> Dick Hoffman

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://www.openoffice.org

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On 25Sep  2013, at 7:54 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No suggestions and yes AOO 4.0.x has  a problem with it. I downloaded it as
> well. I hope it doesn't contain personal data. If it does, I will delete it.

1.  AOO won't open it on OSX.

2.  MS Office had no problem [surprise?]

3.  I'm pretty sure there is no personal data in the file.

--
jt@jt-mj.net   http://jt-mj.net
We do precision guesswork.

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.
2013/9/26 Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com>

> On 9/25/2013 7:54 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  I downloaded a fairly large spreadsheet from this location
>>> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/****clementschecklist/download/<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/**clementschecklist/download/>
>>> <h**ttp://www.birds.cornell.edu/**clementschecklist/download/<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/>
>>> >

>>> but when I try to open it with AOO the progress line shows about a
>>> quarter
>>> of it being loaded and then AOO stalls and I have to use the Task Manager
>>> to cancel soffice. This is using AOO 4.0 on a Windows XP Pro/SP3 system.
>>> Any suggestions as to what might be wrong will be appreciated.
>>> Dick Hoffman

>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@openoffice.apache.****org<
>>> users-help@openoffice.**apache.org <us...@openoffice.apache.org>>
>>>

>>>  No suggestions and yes AOO 4.0.x has  a problem with it. I downloaded
>> it as
>> well. I hope it doesn't contain personal data. If it does, I will delete
>> it.
>>
>> On the other hand, if it doesn't, can we use it as an attachment to an
>> issue?
>>
>> This would be helpful to troubleshoot this problem.
>> Thanks.
>>
>>  The spreadsheet at the Cornell site doesn't contain any personal data;
> it can be used for troubleshooting purposes, or any other. I've had various
> suggestions and received several remedies. To summarize: the .xlsx file can
> apparently be read in OO 3.1.1 (someone who was able to do so saved it as a
> .ods and sent it on to me); the .xlsx file apparently can be read in AOO
> 4.0.1 (someone who was able to do so offered to save it as a .ods and send
> it on to me); yes, the .csv file can be taken into AOO or Excel to create
> an equivalent spreadsheet but you lose the color coding that is in the
> .xlsx which helps when scrolling through the data and the references from
> the second sheet of the .xlsx file don't seem to be present in the .csv
> file. I now have a version of the Cornell file in .ods format that serves
> my purposes. Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. What a
> great group of people you are!
> Dick Hoffman
> Cleveland Heights, OH

​Dick, it takes about ten seconds to launch this file in LibreOffice
4.1.1.2 on my machine running 64-bit Linux Mint 15....

Henri

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dick Hoffman wrote:
>> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=123429
>> since this is definitely a performance bug.
> Thanks for opening a bug on this. I don't understand the comment from
> Andreas Säger; does that mean no action will be taken on the bug?

It's simply an analysis of the pathological characteristics of this
document. This is needed as a first step in investigating why OpenOffice
is slow in opening it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com>.
On 10/5/2013 5:03 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Dick Hoffman wrote:
>> I upgraded to AOO 4.0.1, so out of curiosity I tried to access the .xlsx
>> file at the Cornell site. Results were the same; after about 20 minutes
>> the progress bar showed about 25% of the file loaded and I had to use
>> the Windows Task Manager to terminate soffice.bin to stop it.
>
> It opens normally for me with 4.0.1; however, it takes unacceptably long
> (13 minutes in my case). I opened
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=123429
> since this is definitely a performance bug.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.
Thanks for opening a bug on this. I don't understand the comment from
Andreas Säger; does that mean no action will be taken on the bug?
Dick

Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dick Hoffman <ol...@ix.netcom.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.