Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org> on 2002/10/01 21:58:17 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/fortress/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/fortress/container/commands CheckTypeInfoCommand.java DisposeComponentHandlerCommand.java InitializeComponentHandlerComm

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Peter Royal wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 02:55  PM, giacomo@apache.org wrote:
>
> > giacomo     2002/10/01 11:55:59
> >
> >   Modified:
> > fortress/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/fortress/container/commands
> >                         CheckTypeInfoCommand.java
> >                         DisposeComponentHandlerCommand.java
> >                         InitializeComponentHandlerCommand.java
> >   Log:
> >   get rid of global and unused imports (hope this is ok ;-)
>
> It is very ok :)

Well, I've seen there are plenty of location with global imports in the
fortress package. Is this intentional? Should I go for removing them?

Giacomo

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

>>:/  Ok.  Well, now that I have a really nice IDE that takes care of
>>import statements for me, its no real biggy anymore.  When I had a
>>glorified text editor it was a real pain.
>

> What's the name of your nice IDE today?

IntelliJ IDEA (Early Access Program)

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 16:16, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > > Well, I've seen there are plenty of location with global imports in the
> > > fortress package. Is this intentional? Should I go for removing them?
> >
> > In many places we pretty much use the entire package.  It is simpler/
> > shorter just to import the whole package.  In most cases it is only done
> > with Framework classes.
>
> Siplicity is not allways the best way for people to study code. Excplicit
> imports clearly state which class belongs to which package.

+1

Glob imports are evil and make code really hard to navigate.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:

> >>It is very ok :)
> >

> > Well, I've seen there are plenty of location with global imports in the
> > fortress package. Is this intentional? Should I go for removing them?
>
> In many places we pretty much use the entire package.  It is simpler/
> shorter just to import the whole package.  In most cases it is only done
> with Framework classes.

Siplicity is not allways the best way for people to study code. Excplicit
imports clearly state which class belongs to which package.

After having a look into the
org.apache.excalibur.fortress.container.MetaDataContainer class I simply
got lost (ok, I know Avalon quite well and know where those classes come
from or I'm good at guessing).

Once the common consens was that global imports should be banned. Do you
guys have changed this policy?

Giacomo

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.