Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by MySQL Student <my...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/09 19:38:21 UTC

Valid mail from .cn

Hi,

Some portion of our users are from China. I hoped someone could help
me troubleshoot the best way to permit a user from .cn to forward mail
without improperly being tagged as spam, yet still block the majority
of spam from .cn.

Here's the SA report:

        *  2.0 RELAYCOUNTRY_HIGH Relayed by a country thats a bad spam source
        *  1.0 EXTRA_MPART_TYPE Header has extraneous
Content-type:...type= entry
        * -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
        * -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS SPF: HELO matches SPF record
        *  0.0 LOC_URI_CN URI: Contains CN URI
        *  0.0 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
        *      [score: 0.5000]
        *  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
        *  0.0 T_TVD_FW_GRAPHIC_ID1 BODY: T_TVD_FW_GRAPHIC_ID1
        *  1.8 MIME_BASE64_TEXT RAW: Message text disguised using
base64 encoding
        *  1.5 MY_CID_AND_ARIAL2 SARE CID and Arial2
        *  1.6 PART_CID_STOCK Has a spammy image attachment (by Content-ID)
        *  1.5 MY_CID_AND_STYLE SARE cid and style
        *  1.6 MY_CID_ARIAL_STYLE SARE cid arial2 style

Bayes could probably use a bit of work, but is there something that I
should be investigating based on this to improve the accuracy, or
should I just whitelist_from_rcvd the user since it's a minority of
valid accounts from China?

Even if I remove the RELAYCOUNTRY_HIGH meta, it's still over the 5.0 threshold.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@gmail.com>.
MySQL Student <my...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some portion of our users are from China. I hoped someone could help
> me troubleshoot the best way to permit a user from .cn to forward mail
> without improperly being tagged as spam, yet still block the majority
> of spam from .cn.
> [...]

Have you considered making your MTA (SMTP server) to reject messages
from hosts in CN without reverse DNS?
  [closed loop of addr->PTR->name->A->addr ]
Many spam sources in China lack closed RDNS loop.

Which MTA server do you use? [exim/postfix/sendmail/...]

P.S. There are many services to map IP address to "country of origin"
e.g. zz.countries.nerd.dk, origin.asn.cymru.com.

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu
If a man had a child who'd gone anti-social, killed perhaps,

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 10/09/2009 10:11 PM, MySQL Student wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Could you ask them to provide ham samples for the automated masschecks?
>>   We currently have none in the corpus so we cannot test the safety of rules
>> against Chinese language mail.
>
> Yes, I know how important that is. I recall you mentioning that a few
> days ago. I think it would be quite difficult for me, though.
>
> I'll evaluate how much mail there really is over the coming work-week,
> and see if there's something I can do.
>
> Best,
> Alex

The easiest way would be to have them put confirmed ham into a folder in
their own IMAP account, then you run the nightly masscheck script on
those folders and upload the result log files.

Warren

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Posted by MySQL Student <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, MySQL Student wrote:

>        *  1.5 MY_CID_AND_ARIAL2 SARE CID and Arial2
>        *  1.6 PART_CID_STOCK Has a spammy image attachment (by Content-ID)
>        *  1.5 MY_CID_AND_STYLE SARE cid and style
>        *  1.6 MY_CID_ARIAL_STYLE SARE cid arial2 style
>
> Even if I remove the RELAYCOUNTRY_HIGH meta, it's still over the 5.0
> threshold.

It looks like you might have more than one rule hitting on the same
condition there. You might want to OR-meta those MY_ rules together into a
single rule.

   Judicial Activism (n): interpreting the Constitution to grant the
   government powers that are popularly felt to be "needed" but that
   are not explicitly provided for therein (common definition);
   interpreting the Constitution as it is written (Brady definition)
  8 days since a sunspot last seen - EPA blames CO2 emissions

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
>         *  0.1 RELAYCOUNTRY_CN Relayed through China
>         *  2.0 RELAYCOUNTRY_HIGH Relayed by a country thats a bad spam source

Custom rules.

>         *  1.5 MY_CID_AND_ARIAL2 SARE CID and Arial2
>         *  1.5 MY_CID_AND_STYLE SARE cid and style
>         *  1.6 MY_CID_ARIAL_STYLE SARE cid arial2 style

Custom rules. These ancient SARE rules have often been reported to hit
together on ham, resulting in FPs.

> Even if I remove the RELAYCOUNTRY_HIGH meta, it's still over the 5.0 threshold.

Without those custom rules, the score is still quite high, but less than
the required_score spam threshold of 5. I'd review the custom rules'
effectiveness, and if they really apply to your mail in-stream.

Re: Valid mail from .cn

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On fre 09 okt 2009 19:38:21 CEST, MySQL Student wrote

> Hi,
>
> Some portion of our users are from China. I hoped someone could help
> me troubleshoot the best way to permit a user from .cn to forward mail
> without improperly being tagged as spam, yet still block the majority
> of spam from .cn.

>         * -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
>         * -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS SPF: HELO matches SPF record

add sender to whitelist_from_spf

check the score after, and maybe adjust it to not be -100

still keep the metas

--
xpoint