Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2004/09/16 18:23:51 UTC

Network Server port number issue

Hello All,

An issue with the network server default port number has recently come
to my attention.  The default port number for Network Server is 1527.  I
was told at one point that it was the well known port for DRDA, but that
is in fact does not seem to be the case.  The standard says the default
is 446. The history of where 1527 came from is now lost but 1527 is
registered to Oracle.

So the options as I see it are:
A) Change Network Server to default to 446. This will affect existing apps.

B) Register a new port for Derby and make that the default. Again we
affect existing apps.

C) Leave it at 1527 and print some sort of warning to the log/console,
and document that users should change it.  I don't know if this is
acceptable or not.

D) Something else?

Reference:
http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop (DRDA Standard)
http://osi.oracle.com/CollaborationSuite9041/doc/install/ports.htm
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/oracle-port-table.html

Excerpts from the DRDA Version 3 Technical Standard
Section 13.6.2.6

Usage of PORT for DRDA Service Rules
TPN1 Usage The PORT identifying DRDA application servers and database
servers must support the registered TCP/IP well known port for a
DRDAapplication server or any non-registered TCP/IP port.

and then in
13.6.3 Service Names
The default DRDA well known port for an application server is 446. The
default well known port must be supported at each IP address that has an
application server providing DRDA capabilities.