Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Soman Ullah <so...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/07 14:37:59 UTC

Kafka transactions not working in 2.3.1

Hello,

I recently upgraded our kafka cluster from Kafka version 0.10.1 to 2.3.1
I've confirmed the version has updated using the following command:

/home/wrte/install/kafka/bin/kafka-topics.sh --version
2.3.1.1_212.11 (Commit:8c923fb4c62a38ae)

However I'm unable to use the transactional features as the producer fails
with

Caused by: org.apache.kafka.common.errors.UnsupportedVersionException:
The broker does not support ADD_PARTITIONS_TO_TXN

When I double checked the broker api version, it says transactions aren't
supported:

/home/wrte/install/kafka/bin/kafka-broker-api-versions.sh
--bootstrap-server localhost:4443 | grep -i txn
EndTxn(26): UNSUPPORTED,
WriteTxnMarkers(27): UNSUPPORTED,
TxnOffsetCommit(28): UNSUPPORTED,
AddPartitionsToTxn(24): UNSUPPORTED,
AddOffsetsToTxn(25): UNSUPPORTED,

I can also see that a new topic: __transaction_state was created on the
broker. How can I fix this and start using transactions?

Thanks,

Soman

Re: Kafka transactions not working in 2.3.1

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Soman,

again, hard to tell, this is what the docs say:

"...if you are upgrading from a version prior to 0.11.0.x, then
CURRENT_MESSAGE_FORMAT_VERSION should be set to match CURRENT_KAFKA_VERSION.
"

also:

"...Once the brokers begin using the latest protocol version, it will no
longer be possible to downgrade the cluster to an older version."

So, I guess you have tested or are testing in a DEV environment before
going to prod, if so, and you have not restarted the brokers with the
newest protocol version, I think it could work.

Again, I have not more info than the one you are providing, this is my leap
of faith.

Cheers!
--
Jonathan

--
Santilli Jonathan

Re: Kafka transactions not working in 2.3.1

Posted by Soman Ullah <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Santilli Jonathan

Re: Kafka transactions not working in 2.3.1

Posted by Soman Ullah <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,