Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by scott <by...@yahoo.com> on 2004/08/26 02:50:17 UTC

pluto and jboss 3-2.5

I am trying to get the current version of pluto to run on jboss 3-2.5.

It kind of runs if you explan the pluto.war file into
/jboss-3.2.5/server/default/deploy/pluto.war

if you then put the testsuite into
/jboss-3.2.5/server/default/deploy/testsuite

the testsuite runs.  However, if you place it into
/jboss-3.2.5/server/default/deploy/testsuite.war

then pluto is unable to find the testsuite.  You get the ever popular:

ApplicationDispatcher[/pluto] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.pluto.portalImpl.om.entity.impl.PortletEntityImpl.getPortletDefiniti
on(PortletEntityImpl.java:82)
	at org.apache.pluto.portalImpl.aggregation.PortletFragment.service
(PortletFragment.java:150)
	at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.ColumnFragment_jsp._jspService
(ColumnFragment_jsp.java:67)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)

Any ideas.  I'm not sure if it is jboss or pluto that is causing my problems.

Thanks
Scott

Re: pluto and jboss 3-2.5

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gluecode.com>.
Not sure if an earlier reply got lost or modded away.

scott wrote:

 > Any ideas.  I'm not sure if it is jboss or pluto that is causing my
problems.

I ran into this as well last week and the problem seems to stem from
PortletDefinitionRegistryServiceFileImpl.resolveURI which expects the
web module to be prefixed with "tmp...". JBoss does not always do this.

I hacked this to return the hard-coded name of our portlet WAR but
that's not a good solution :)

I believe the approach in this impl is flawed - it is based on the
assumption that the app server will expand the WAR in a certain way and
that is not always true (as seen by the original attempt to fix it). I
think a better solution might be to simply include the context path to
use in the portletentityregistry definition - a little more work during
configuration but a lot more portable. I've been intending on working up
a patch along those lines but haven't got around to it - I will try and
do so over the weekend.

In the mean time, you might want to see if you can tweak that function
to return the right value for your installation.

--
Jeremy
jboynes@apache.org