Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jeremy Hanna <je...@mac.com> on 2008/07/05 21:57:19 UTC

Misleading error message from tar task

I was just wondering why the tar task has a kind of misleading error
message and how I would fix it or report it to be fixed.

Apparently, if the tar task cannot find any files to include in the
destination, it just reports that there is nothing to do, that the tar
file is up to date.

A previous thread talked about this in ant 1.3 here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-user/200108.mbox/%3Cm3d769npbs.fsf@bodewig.bost.de%3E

I found the same thing happens in ant 1.7.

What would need to happen to change that from the generic message
which is probably a default message to something more appropriate like
WARNING: no input files found, blah.tar.gz not created.  I would think
throwing an error would throw some people's existing ant targets off,
but a more accurate warning might be nice for debugging problems like
this.

Jeremy

RE: Misleading error message from tar task

Posted by "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Ro...@nike.com>.
Search the bug database to see if someone has already reported the
issue. If it has not been reported, enter a new bug in the bug database.
If you would like to fix it yourself, get the source and create a patch
file. Attach the patch to the bug.

-Rob A