Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1997/05/27 07:26:58 UTC

Re: 301 msg on directory reference

>Should I be getting a 301 on a reference like

>?? Adding a trailing / suppresses the 301 and goes directly to the
>referenced directory's index.

Yes, the 301 is required to protect the server against broken relative
URL references just because the author was lazy and didn't use the
real URL for the dir (which always includes the trailing slash).

>I ask because the behavior has changed since 1.2b10.

Nope, though the missing Location field may have resulted in weird
behavior if you have a pre-today snapshot running.  That is fixed now.

....Roy

Re: 301 msg on directory reference

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >Should I be getting a 301 on a reference like

> >?? Adding a trailing / suppresses the 301 and goes directly to the
> >referenced directory's index.
>
> Yes, the 301 is required to protect the server against broken relative
> URL references just because the author was lazy and didn't use the
> real URL for the dir (which always includes the trailing slash).
>
> >I ask because the behavior has changed since 1.2b10.
>
> Nope, though the missing Location field may have resulted in weird
> behavior if you have a pre-today snapshot running.  That is fixed now.

Trying that now, just downloading. You're right about the missing
Location field, I forgot about that.
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko

Re: 301 msg on directory reference

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >Should I be getting a 301 on a reference like

> >?? Adding a trailing / suppresses the 301 and goes directly to the
> >referenced directory's index.
>
> Yes, the 301 is required to protect the server against broken relative
> URL references just because the author was lazy and didn't use the
> real URL for the dir (which always includes the trailing slash).
>
> >I ask because the behavior has changed since 1.2b10.
>
> Nope, though the missing Location field may have resulted in weird
> behavior if you have a pre-today snapshot running.  That is fixed now.

Yes, it is fixed, and that's what was causing the weird behavior.