Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by T Master <tm...@iknowledge.com> on 2002/02/12 20:46:57 UTC

FallbackErrorHandler.setBackupAppender(null) throws NullPointerException

Not sure if this is the desired behaviour.  The same will occur with the other
setter methods.

No I won't be doing this in my code...I was just testing for another issue
(QuietWriter.flush() threw a NullPointerException after changing my
FileAppender's directory to a disk with no space e.g. floppy  - cannot repeat in
a junit test though)

It may be better to throw an IllegalArgumentException, or just to ignore the
parameter if null.

Code from  log4j.varia.FallbackErrorHandler.java
  /**
     Set the backup appender.
   */
  public
  void setBackupAppender(Appender backup) {
    LogLog.debug("FB: Setting backup appender to [" + backup.getName() + "].");
    this.backup = backup;
  }

Using log4jv1.2-beta2.

Regards,

T Master.

Can I do this with PropertyConfigurator?

Posted by Joe Polanik <jP...@cds.duke.edu>.
I'm using an initialization servlet with the following lines in the init()
method:

         String logFile = config.getInitParameter("logPath");
         String prefix = getServletContext().getRealPath("/");
         System.out.println("prefix: " + prefix);
         if (logFile != null) {
             PropertyConfigurator.configure(prefix + "WEB-INF\\classes\\" +
logFile);
         }

In web.xml the init parameter is defined as log4j.properties.

The servlet reads log4j.properties where it finds the following:

log4j.rootCategory=debug, R
log4j.appender.R.File=arachneTest.log
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n

The problem (as I see it) is that the output log ends up in
<Tomcat_Home>\bin, whereas I'd like it to be in <Tomcat_Home>\webapps\MyApp
(or some subdirectory of MyApp like 'log'). However any attempt to prepend
the filename in log4j.properties with path information generates a File Not
Found error.

Can this be done? If so, How????

Thanks in Advance for any ideas,

Joseph Polanik