Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Wannheden, Knut" <Kn...@paranor.ch> on 2001/12/21 11:38:28 UTC

clearcase ucm extension

Hi,

Where I work Rational ClearCase is being used.  Additionaly Rational's
Unified Change Management (UCM) Process, which has been integrated into the
later releases of ClearCase, is also used.  For those of you which aren't
familiar with UCM: UCM adds some concepts to the Base ClearCase, where the
concept of an activity requires the user to associate actions like checkouts
with an activity.  The checked out elements are then added to a change set
of this activity.  Instead of just checking in the elements again, the
activity is eventually "delivered".

Now to the point: The current optional ClearCase tasks don't allow to
specify an activity and can therefore not be used where UCM is being used.
However, this could be accomplished quite easily by extending some of the
tasks (currently only the CCCheckout task) with an attribute "ucm-activity",
with which the activity to associate the checkout with can be specified.  Of
course this attribute doesn't make sense where UCM is not being used.

Additional tasks supporting some of the other UCM concepts could be useful
as well, but I believe it to be most important to get CCCheckout to work
with UCM.

Are there any plans to add UCM support to the current tasks or are there
good reasons not to do so.  If there is a need for this I'd be happy to help
doing some of the work.

Regards,

Knut Wannheden.