Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "SANSONE, AARON M [Non-Pharmacia/1000]" <aa...@monsanto.com> on 2001/10/15 23:20:47 UTC

Placing Request Values on the Session...

I need a simple way to place posted values from a form on the user session
for later use.  I thought that the SessionPropagatorAction was the way to
go.  Is anyone using the SessionPropagatorAction successfully in this
manner?

I have a form that posts three values (text input "varOne", "varTwo" and
"varThree") to a matching pattern in sitemap.xmap which then calls the
session-propagator action to (theoretically) place posted the values on the
session:

<map:match pattern="getCAParms">
  <map:act type="session-propagator">
    <map:parameter name="varOne" value="{varOne}"/>
    <map:parameter name="varTwo" value="{varTwo}"/>
    <map:parameter name="varThree" value="{varThree}"/>
  </map:act>
</map:match>

Obviously this doesn't do what I would have expected it to.

I must be going about this in the wrong way, does anyone have a better
solution?

Thanks,
Aaron

(Cocoon 2rc1a, JRun 3.1, NT4)

Re: Placing Request Values on the Session...

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 15.Oct.2001 -- 04:20 PM, SANSONE, AARON M [Non-Pharmacia/1000] wrote:
> I need a simple way to place posted values from a form on the user session
> for later use.  I thought that the SessionPropagatorAction was the way to
> go.  Is anyone using the SessionPropagatorAction successfully in this
> manner?
>
> I have a form that posts three values (text input "varOne", "varTwo" and
> "varThree") to a matching pattern in sitemap.xmap which then calls the
> session-propagator action to (theoretically) place posted the values on the
> session:
>
> <map:match pattern="getCAParms">
>   <map:act type="session-propagator">
>     <map:parameter name="varOne" value="{varOne}"/>
>     <map:parameter name="varTwo" value="{varTwo}"/>
>     <map:parameter name="varThree" value="{varThree}"/>
>   </map:act>
> </map:match>
>
> Obviously this doesn't do what I would have expected it to.
>
> I must be going about this in the wrong way, does anyone have a better
> solution?

Aaron,

what you're missing here is, that {varOne} can't be substituted with
the desired value because Cocoon doesn't know about it. Put another
action around the session-propagator, namely the "RequestParamAction"
and set "parameters" to "true". Thus

   <map:match pattern="getCAParms">

     <map:act type="request">
       <map:parameter name="parameters" value="true"/>
       <map:parameter name="default.varOne" value="some default value for varOne"/>

       <map:act type="session-propagator">
	 <map:parameter name="varOne" value="{varOne}"/>
	 <map:parameter name="varTwo" value="{varTwo}"/>
	 <map:parameter name="varThree" value="{varThree}"/>
       </map:act>

     </map:act>

   </map:match>

HTH