Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2002/09/02 23:42:13 UTC

digester 2.0 [WAS Re: [digester] [PROPOSAL] More pattern matching flexibility]

On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 02:06 PM, Christopher Lenz wrote:

> Hello Digester developers (and everyone else),
>
> this is a proposal to extend the matching functionality that Digester
> currently provides. Specifically, the extensions shall provide:
>
>   - matching of elements in different namespaces
>   - matching of elements depending on the existence of an attribute
>   - matching of elements depending on the value of an attribute
>   - matching of elements depending on their body content
>
> To achieve this, Digester would need to undergo some changes that would
> break backwards compatibility. This proposal outlines ways to minimize
> the effects on API clients, and also outlines a 2-step process that
> includes a deprecation-oriented release in the 1.x branch, and an
> implementation of the new matching features in a 2.0 release.

i'd say that my priority for digester for the medium term is optimization.
  very little work's has been done on this but we need these improvements.
this complicates the process a little.

if we're going to remove a lot of methods and break compatibility (on a
large scale) for digester 2.0, then we'd need not just a deprecated
release but also a proper 1.x branch which can be optimized. if we're
careful, though, we might be able to avoid forcing major changes on user's
code. this would allow us to quickly patch tomcat etc and avoid having to
support two versions. of course, it would also mean that performance would
have to be a consideration in the design of 2.0.

- robert