Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sg <ge...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/14 09:37:54 UTC

how to stop the spam assassin

Hi,

I am running SA 3.1.7. I need to upgrade it. I have to stop the current
running SA. how to stop the service?

--
Sg

Re: how to stop the spam assassin

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 August 2007 2:37 am, Sg wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running SA 3.1.7. I need to upgrade it. I have to stop the current
>> running SA. how to stop the service?
>
> I do it this way, as root:
>
> service spamassassin stop
>
> and to restart
>
> service spamassassin start

Which is platform dependent.

using ps and kill is much more unix-agnostic.

Re: how to stop the spam assassin

Posted by Chris <cp...@embarqmail.com>.
On Tuesday 14 August 2007 2:37 am, Sg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running SA 3.1.7. I need to upgrade it. I have to stop the current
> running SA. how to stop the service?

I do it this way, as root:

service spamassassin stop

and to restart

service spamassassin start

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: how to stop the spam assassin

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Gokhan ALKAN wrote:

> it depends on which distro have you used . you can use stop/start script to stop spamassin. or you can see  spamassassin prcocess with ps command and kill .
>
> you can see pid of spamassassin with below command and you can kill spamassassin
>
> # ps auwx | grep "spamd" | grep -v "grep"
>
> # kill -9 spamassassin_pid

Reccomend against using "-9" for the kill, that is a kill signal that
causes your system to destroy the process with out giving it any chance
to do normal exit cleanup. A "-9" should be the court of last resort when
trying to make a program exit.

Just do a:

  kill spamassassin_pid

(which is fuctionally equivalent to a: kill -15 spamassassin_pid ).

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: how to stop the spam assassin

Posted by Gokhan ALKAN <go...@yahoo.com.tr>.

---------------------------------

RE: how to stop the spam assassin

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> I am running SA 3.1.7. I need to upgrade it. I have to stop
> the current running SA. how to stop the service?

That really depends on how you are calling SA. I know you run it on Windows,
but what mail server, and how is it called. I use CommuniGate Pro with
CGPSA. To stop SA, I have to kill the cgpsa.pl process by using a
command-line tool or Task Manager (right click, end process tree). Doing
this with CommuniGate Pro stops inbound email until I get it back running
again, so spam doesn't get through. I also have the option of disabling the
helper, which allows email to continue flowing, but obviously without being
filtered.

HTH,
Bret