Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Paolo Sacconier <ax...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 16:22:56 UTC

HSSF pivot tables support status

Hi everybody,
I need to use poi to generate excel files with two sheets, filling the
first one with data and keeping the second one that contains a pivot
table (that points to the newly inserted data) auto updated on file
open using a macro.

As reported here: http://poi.apache.org/hssf/limitations.html I know
that under some circumstances rewriting files with pivot tables with
poi works.

But as I keep getting an InvocationTargetException caused by an
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException while creating my HSSFWorkbook, I was
wondering how I have to create my template file with the pivot table
to make it readable with poi.

I'm using poi 3.0.1 (same problem with 2.5.1), using a newly created
excel file saved in excel97 format.

Searching with google and in this list I couldn't find any further advice.

Can anybody point me to a working example? Is there anybody that
successfully read xls with pivot tables?

TIA for your help!
--
Paolo Sacconier

Re: HSSF pivot tables support status

Posted by Paolo Sacconier <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/07, apachemail@charter.net <ap...@charter.net> wrote:
> If the cell that is selected is an empty cell then I do not have a solution for you.  Sorry.

Thanks anyway.

I worked around this problem using a file without the pivot table
inside but with a macro that creates the pivot table on the workbook
open event, after the file is filled with data trough poi.

I hope this can be helpful to anybody experiencing the same issue
until poi's hssf pivot support improves.

Bye!
--
Paolo Sacconier

Posted by ap...@charter.net.

Posted by Paolo Sacconier <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ishravi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi.. Can you please explain on your approach on how you created the macro and
how you called it from java.

Re: HSSF pivot tables support status

Posted by ap...@charter.net.
Are you reading in a spreadsheet then modifying it and writing it out?  If so, make sure that the cell that is selected when you save your original document is not a "drop-down" or "select" type cell.  If that is the case, there is a fix for it.  Let me know if that is the problem and I will share it with you.