Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sander Temme <sc...@covalent.net> on 2001/11/02 21:08:11 UTC

DSO broken on MacOS X 10.1

Hi all,

When I compile a recent HEAD on my MOSX 10.1 laptop, it will not load DSO's.
Testing my compile:

[monalisa:/tmp/apache2] sctemme% setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /tmp/apache2/lib
[monalisa:/tmp/apache2] sctemme% bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 198 of /tmp/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
API module structure `access_module' in file
/tmp/apache2/modules/mod_access.so is garbled - perhaps this is not an
Apache module DSO?
bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
[monalisa:/tmp/apache2] sctemme%

The Configure line:

./configure --prefix=$PREFIX     \
            --enable-mods-shared=most \
            --with-port=8080          \
            --enable-maintainer-mode  \
            --with-layout=Apache

... preceded by a make distclean and a ./buildconf. That error message is
generated in mod_so.c:266, so I set a breakpoint at the start of
load_module() and stepped lightly. The module structure ends up as:

(gdb) print *modp
$44 = {
  version = -1073752864,
  minor_version = 1605416,
  module_index = 1429952,
  name = 0x15d1e0 "",
  dynamic_load_handle = 0x15d1e0,
  next = 0x0,
  magic = 1880006684,
  rewrite_args = 0x41147e14 <__dyld_module_state_block+572>,
  create_dir_config = 0x6,
  merge_dir_config = 0xbffffb04,
  create_server_config = 0xbfffd510,
  merge_server_config = 0x21760 <cfg_getstr+24>,
  cmds = 0xbfffd560,
  register_hooks = 0
}

Garbled, allright! Could something go wrong in loading the module despite
its APR_SUCCESS? The module was compiled in the same run as the server, so
its STANDARD20_MODULE_STUFF should be in order.

Two possibilities as far as I can see:

1) I'm not linking right
2) I'm not loading right

I'll do some more stepping around when I find the time. Any pointers on
where I should focus?

Oh, a regular static compile works fine. A shared compile on MOSX 10.0.0.4
showed the same symptom.

Thanks,

S.

--
Covalent Technologies                             sctemme@covalent.net
Engineering group                                Voice: (415) 536 5214

   PGP Fingerprint: 1E74 4E58 DFAC 2CF5 6A03  5531 AFB1 96AF B584 0AB1

use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
of the original message

Re: DSO broken on MacOS X 10.1

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:23:09PM -0700, Tom Harrington wrote:
> What do you need to change to get the head of the tree to build on MacOS X?

Try upgrading to libtool 1.4.2.  That helps getting a static build, but
the DSOs are still wacked out.  I have a message out to Fred and David
at Apple for some assistance, but have yet to receive a reply...
-- justin

Re: DSO broken on MacOS X 10.1

Posted by Tom Harrington <tp...@acm.org>.
Sander Temme wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I compile a recent HEAD on my MOSX 10.1 laptop, it will not load DSO's.
> Testing my compile:

You can compile HEAD on 10.1?  I've just been looking at it, and I was
thinking that MacOS X wasn't supported, because it won't make for me.
Error messages indicate that I need to pass "-unsupported error" to ld,
but I haven't been able to grok the build process enough yet to
understand where to put it.  I thought that srclib/apr/build/rules.mk
would be the place, in EXTRA_CFLAGS or EXTRA_LDFLAGS, but that doesn't
fix it.  I can see the extra args in libtool's command line, but I get
the same error.

tph@acm.org