Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2002/11/20 10:52:23 UTC

Ant is now a top level Apache project

Hi all,

For those of you who do not already know it, Apache Ant was approved as a
top level project of the ASF by the board meeting of the 18th.

For the development of Ant and its users it will be pretty much business as
usual. For the new PMC we will need to craft some bylaws which govern the
operation of the project, etc. I'll try to get started on a draft of those
as soon as possible. All input welcome. I expect these to be pretty standard
- along the lines of httpd/Jakarta, etc.

There are other things we can/should address in time (establishing
ant.apache.org, for example). I don't think there is any rush necessary
here. If you have any queries about this or ideas you'd like to express,
please feel free to do so.

I will also be jumping into bugs and patches in the coming weeks to clear
some of the backlog. Please hang in there for that :-)

Conor

Re: Ant is now a top level Apache project

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Ant CVS is named jakarta-ant. Will it change?

Even if it does, this wouldn't be a big deal as we would leave a
symlink in place IMHO.

Stefan

Re: Ant is now a top level Apache project

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For those of you who do not already know it, Apache Ant was approved as
> a top level project of the ASF by the board meeting of the 18th.
>
> For the development of Ant and its users it will be pretty much business
> as usual. For the new PMC we will need to craft some bylaws which govern
> the operation of the project, etc. I'll try to get started on a draft of
> those as soon as possible. All input welcome. I expect these to be
> pretty standard - along the lines of httpd/Jakarta, etc.
>
> There are other things we can/should address in time (establishing
> ant.apache.org, for example). I don't think there is any rush necessary
> here. If you have any queries about this or ideas you'd like to express,
> please feel free to do so.

The board has also created the Avalon PMC :-)

Since we will be doing basically the same steps, I will follow the
discussion here closely, and eventually bring forward in both projects
what interesting steps are being carried out on the other project.

Actually, I have one question already, because I'm in difficulty myself
on this. The Ant CVS is named jakarta-ant. Will it change? Will "ant"
begin with hosting a newer ant release?

No need to relpy now, I'll be waiting here for some hints, thank you :-)

> I will also be jumping into bugs and patches in the coming weeks to
> clear some of the backlog. Please hang in there for that :-)

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Ant is now a top level Apache project

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> For those of you who do not already know it, Apache Ant was approved
> as a top level project of the ASF by the board meeting of the 18th.

Should we annonce this on ant-user as well (or wait until
ant.apache.org is functional)?

Do we want ant.apache.org at all?  I do.

Stefan