Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2010/06/03 18:02:01 UTC

PMD/Checkstyle and threadSafe....

I've been working on getting the CXF builds to at least build (not run the
tests yet) with the Maven 3 // mode.    With the updates to the checkstyle
plugin, I've now done about a dozen or so builds with various -T settings
without any failures.    I'm not quite ready to declare an @threadSafe victory
for the PMD and Checkstyle plugins (will probably loop it overnight), but it's
definitely looking promising now.

HOWEVER, according to Kristian, we need to update to
org.apache.maven.plugins v18 (which seems to be OK) and plexus-utils 2.0.5 in
order for the @threadSafe stuff to work.    Updating to 2.0.5 causes most of
the tests to fail with
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.codehaus.plexus.util.interpolation.ValueSource

That's really out of my area and would really appreciate it if someone would
look into that.  I tried updating a bunch of other deps (like doxia and such)
but that didn't help.  I'm really not sure where to look or why it's trying to
grab the ValueSource stuff.

Thanks for any help!

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: PMD/Checkstyle and threadSafe....

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 5:51:09 am Olivier Lamy wrote:
> done too (and snapshot deployed).
> Can you test this with cxf build

Looks good.   :-)

Dan

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Before having looked at the source code in question, I could only
recommend plexus-utils 2.0.5 (on a general basis), because all of the
executeCommandLine methods are deadlock prone prior to that version.

I find it quite hard to evaluate if any of the transitive dependencies
included in the plugin actually invoke these methods. But I gave it a
shot and it seems like it is in  in the clear, so it should be safe to
release this plugin without upgrading plexus-utils.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/PLXUTILS-130 has also been positively
identified "in the wild" on a couple of occasions on one of my CI's now.
It deadlocks fairly regularly (daily or so), but Bamboo has a "stuck
build detection" that just kills the process. (This is an 8-core 64 bit
monster-build machine that is heavily loaded 12 hours a day with builds)

Kristian

Re: PMD/Checkstyle and threadSafe....

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Try with adding the following dependency :
org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-interpolation:1.9.