Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2001/07/10 16:31:47 UTC

FW: Log4j

Whops... Extra CR in the TarBall distribution...

    Pier

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
At 15:31 10.07.2001 +0100, Pier P. Fumagalli wrote:
>Whops... Extra CR in the TarBall distribution...
>
>    Pier

Hello Ted, Pier,

The tarball is compressed with gzip. As far as I can tell, it's not corrupted. Regarding
the extra CR's, it's true that the source code may contain extra carriage returns but that should not affect code compilation. The source code looks ugly on Windows without the CRs and ugly on Unix with the extra CRs. It's one or the other. (see also the proposed solution below)

The case with CRs in Makefiles is different because it breaks them on Unix. I use Cywin on Windows where CRs are OK. The important point to note is that log4j is supposed to be compiled with ANT _not_ make. Only weirdos like me still (sometimes) use make. In log4j, make is supported for the moment out of habit not necessity.

In short, I don't think the reported problem requires immediate attention. I'll try to fix it in future log4j releases by removing CRs in the tarball but keeping them in the ZIP file. Ciao, Ceki

Ceki Gülcü