Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthew Kidd <Ma...@cappsdigital.com> on 2006/09/07 15:15:40 UTC

Mistakenly deleted svn projects using rm -rf instead of svnadmin...

Yesterday I attempted to start with a fresh install of subversion and forgot that to properly delete svn you need to use svnadmin instead of rm -rf on the folder hierarchy. Now when I do a locate svn I still get the paths to the repositories as well as the conf, dav db, format, hooks, locks, and the README.txt. An ls -la of the directory where the folders were located does not show them being there. I'm a bit confused. Are the repositories deleted? I assumed that when I did a locate svn nothng would show up as he folders and files were deleted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---

R. Matthew Kidd
Junior Engineer
Capps Digital
35 W. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601
312.220.5596
matthew.kidd@cappsdigital.com

Re: Mistakenly deleted svn projects using rm -rf instead of svnadmin...

Posted by Sean Davis <sd...@mail.nih.gov>.
On Thursday 07 September 2006 11:15, Matthew Kidd wrote:
> Yesterday I attempted to start with a fresh install of subversion and
> forgot that to properly delete svn you need to use svnadmin instead of rm
> -rf on the folder hierarchy. Now when I do a locate svn I still get the
> paths to the repositories as well as the conf, dav db, format, hooks,
> locks, and the README.txt. An ls -la of the directory where the folders
> were located does not show them being there. I'm a bit confused. Are the
> repositories deleted? I assumed that when I did a locate svn nothng would
> show up as he folders and files were deleted. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

The locate command runs from a database that is updated on a scheduled basis.
It probably has not been updated yet.  Looking at the man page will probably
point you to how to do a manual update.  But, in the short term, pay
attention to the ls output, not the locate output.

Sean

Re: Mistakenly deleted svn projects using rm -rf instead of svnadmin...

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 7, 2006, at 17:15, Matthew Kidd wrote:

> Yesterday I attempted to start with a fresh install of subversion
> and forgot that to properly delete svn you need to use svnadmin
> instead of rm -rf on the folder hierarchy. Now when I do a "locate
> svn" I still get the paths to the repositories as well as the conf,
> dav db, format, hooks, locks, and the README.txt. An ls -la of the
> directory where the folders were located does not show them being
> there. I'm a bit confused. Are the repositories deleted? I assumed
> that when I did a "locate svn" nothng would show up as he folders
> and files were deleted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"rm -rf" is exactly the correct way to delete a *repository*; there
is no such thing as "svnadmin delete". It sounds like you have indeed
successfully deleted your repository.

Note that "locate" gets its information from a database which is
regenerated periodically, for example every evening, so if you delete
a file today, that won't be reflected until tomorrow or whenever the
locate database is rebuilt on your system.

Re: Mistakenly deleted svn projects using rm -rf instead of svnadmin...

Posted by Marcus Rohrmoser <mr...@gmx-gmbh.de>.
Hi Matthew,

Matthew Kidd wrote:
> you need to use svnadmin
wrong, you don't.

> rm -rf
that's fine.

> when I do a locate svn I still get the paths

ask your Sysadmin about how your locate work.

> ls -la ... does not show them

right, because they're deleted!

Greetings,