Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2017/09/22 09:04:57 UTC

Using Installation Software for a Apache Project

Hi,

I'm a PMC of the Apache Maven project...

So currently we are thinking to make the experience for end users more
conventien to install Maven.

So the first question is based on the software I'll be investigating to use:

http://izpack.org/

The point is that izpack.org writes it's published under Apache License
V2.0..

I think I can use above to package Apache Maven (which I have no doubt
about it; Maybe I'm wrong)

But now the important question:

Can I put the resulting packages which have been created with the above
for download on an apache site in particular
http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi

Any help about that would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Using Installation Software for a Apache Project

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/09/17 10:04, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a PMC of the Apache Maven project...
>
> So currently we are thinking to make the experience for end users more
> conventien to install Maven.
>
> So the first question is based on the software I'll be investigating to
> use:
>

> The point is that izpack.org writes it's published under Apache License
> V2.0..
>

> I think I can use above to package Apache Maven (which I have no doubt
> about it; Maybe I'm wrong)
>
> But now the important question:
>
> Can I put the resulting packages which have been created with the above
> for download on an apache site in particular
> http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> Any help about that would be appreciated.

I see no reason why not.

Tomcat has been distributing Windows binaries packaged with the NSIS
installer for many years and I don't see anything different in your
proposal.

The one thing to watch for is that the installer might need a slightly
different LICENSE and/or NOTICE file depending on the dependencies of
IzPack.

Mark