Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Hu, Yiguang" <Yi...@stercomm.com> on 2006/05/19 22:32:14 UTC

RE: navigation menu control-a new twist

I got this working now. Thank you Jacek and Randy for you inputs. Now I
have another question. I need to display a different image for different
menu. So I need an extra configurable property such as style or class or
image, what ever. Can I extend the current menu implementation object
and change configuration to use the new object? If it is doable, which
file I should change to configure it to use my extended menu?  Or if
there is an existing better way? Or does jetspeed plan to add a support
for user defined attribute (such as name value pairs) some what like
this:
<menu name="left-column" options="/" depth="0" paths="false"
regexp="false">
         <title>RootTitle</title>
         <separator>
             <text>Separator</text>
         </separator>
         <properties>
                <name1>value1</name1>
                <name2>value2</name2>
         </properties>
</menu>

Thanks,

Yiguang

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Menu, options, separators, etc. have an attribute called "skin". This is
a generic field that is not used by J2 that can be used for this or
similar purposes. IIRC, skins for options and separators are inherited
from the menu, as are nested menu skins.

These same elements also have metadata. One can add their own locale
specific metadata to the PSML. This is the closest thing to properties
as you describe.

Because skin and metadata are available, no additional PSML syntax will
be added. See the PSML, declarative menu information, and javadoc APIs
on the site for more details.

Randy

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.

--