Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ronja Koistinen <ro...@helsinki.fi> on 2018/06/01 13:35:38 UTC

Solr Cloud 6.6.4 in Docker containers: collection creation fails

Hello,

I am running Solr Cloud 6.6.4 in Docker containers on three RHEL7
virtual machines. The containers are networked in bridge mode.

I can access the Solr Admin web interface on the nodes and I can see all
nodes in the /live_nodes tree in ZooKeeper.

ZooKeeper is installed directly on the host virtual machines, i.e.
ZooKeeper is not in containers, only the Solr nodes are.

When I try to create a new collection through
/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE I get the error
"SolrServerException:Server refused connection at http://node1:8984/solr".

Please see attached log files. I tried to identify the relevant portions
from my Solr logs so not everything is included. (The logs have also
been slightly edited to conceal potentially sensitive information and
actual hostnames.)

Troubleshooting so far: "wget" inside the Solr container on node0 is
able to connect to the Solr containers running on node1 and node2, so it
should not be a routing or firewall issue.

--
Ronja Koistinen
University of Helsinki

Re: Solr Cloud 6.6.4 in Docker containers: collection creation fails

Posted by Ronja Koistinen <ro...@helsinki.fi>.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have done all this. I am able to resolve all the nodes from inside all
the other containers on all the other nodes. I am able to "wget" the
http://othernode:8984/solr URLs from inside the containers.

--
Ronja Koistinen
University of Helsinki

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Hi

Probably some networking issues. I would log in to each node at a time and verify connectivity to all others.
Make sure that e.g. "node1" resolves correctly on all RHEL hosts as well as inside docker containers.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect

Posted by Ronja Koistinen <ro...@helsinki.fi>.
On 01.06.2018 16:35, Ronja Koistinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Solr Cloud 6.6.4 in Docker containers on three RHEL7
> virtual machines. The containers are networked in bridge mode.
>
> I can access the Solr Admin web interface on the nodes and I can see all
> nodes in the /live_nodes tree in ZooKeeper.
>
> ZooKeeper is installed directly on the host virtual machines, i.e.
> ZooKeeper is not in containers, only the Solr nodes are.
>
> When I try to create a new collection through
> /solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE I get the error
> "SolrServerException:Server refused connection at http://node1:8984/solr".
>
> Please see attached log files. I tried to identify the relevant portions
> from my Solr logs so not everything is included. (The logs have also
> been slightly edited to conceal potentially sensitive information and
> actual hostnames.)
>
> Troubleshooting so far: "wget" inside the Solr container on node0 is
> able to connect to the Solr containers running on node1 and node2, so it
> should not be a routing or firewall issue.

I believe I have solved my issue: the "connection refused" occurs when
Solr tries to connect to itself by using the IP address (or DNS name) of
the same host it is running on. I remedied this by allowing traffic from
the "docker0" interface to the Solr ports of the containers on the same
host:

-i docker0 -p tcp -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m tcp --dport 8984 -j ACCEPT

--
Ronja Koistinen
University of Helsinki