Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by monstereo <me...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/22 18:22:50 UTC

When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?

If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java 11, when it
will be released?

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Posted by zaleslaw <za...@gmail.com>.
A lot of answers here, but I'll put my 5 cents here.

I'm going to test different Ignite modules like SQL, Core, ML, Streaming
with Liberica JDK, Amazon Coretto and another JDKs based on OpenJDK
personally.

If I found any critical things, I post them tp the user or dev list.

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Posted by Gianluca Bonetti <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Loredana

You can switch to OpenJDK 8, which would be supported also for security
updates by all the major Linux distribution.
OpenJDK is production ready since years, actually Oracle's JDK is now a
build of OpenJDK, with some additions.

Cheers
Gianluca

Posted by "kimec.ethome.sk" <ki...@ethome.sk>.
Java 11 is technically not an LTS release. Java 11 is the next LTS
release only for Oracle customers on "Premier Support".
Organizations not willing to pay for "Premier support" will need to
track OpenJDK. There is no notion of LTS in OpenJDK.
That means there is no free LTS for Java (11 and above) anymore. As soon
as Java 12 is out, all organizations tracking OpenJDK are expected to
migrate to Java 12 to get the security fixes.

In past months, some companies expressed their will to provide LTS
releases with security bugfixes and backports free of charge but as far
as I can recall, there was no definite answer yet.
That being said, companies like Red Hat and Azul systems did this for
many years for older Java SE releases (6 and 7).
I think we will learn in few months time which of Azul, Red Hat/IBM,
Amazon or Google will step up and start to provide binary LTS releases
for major OS platforms.

Kamil Mišúth

Posted by Loredana Radulescu Ivanoff <lr...@tibco.com>.
Hello,