Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/09 00:25:54 UTC

Vector truncation for visualization

I've used multi-dimensional scaling (MDS) in another toolkit to
down-project high-dim vectors to 2d and 3d. What tools for this are
available in Mahout? Random Projection down to 2 dimensions is easy,
but seems unsound.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Vector truncation for visualization

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
 For the singular vectors technique:

The matrix is all of the input vectors as rows.

1) Given a matrix where the row vectors are all vectors in the space,
2) Subtract the global mean from each member.
3) Do svd and get the ordered set of singular vectors.
3a) Truncate this and pull the first two singular vectors.
3b) Thus, truncating SVD is helpful.

For the affinity matrix, the variable 'r_ij' means 'random matrix
i,j'? And use this for a direct projection onto 2 dimensions?

For another opinion: Lanczos Vectors versus Singular Vectors for
Effective Dimension Reduction

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.158.779&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.