Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2009/05/01 15:03:39 UTC

Re: [general] Notice and license files

We currently include a copy of LICENSE and NOTICE in every one of our
JARs, but we don't include the THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt.

I've got a patch to combine the 3rd party notices file into the license
file, but it makes our boot JARs noticeably bigger.

I can't put my finger on the ASF policy, but I believe it *is* best
practice to include the license and notice in each jar.

The only alternative I can think of is to copy the LICENSE file into
each module, and only include each THIRD_PARTY_NOTICE section that
applies to that module.

WDYT? any other ideas?

( In the meantime I'll commit the changes I have got do that we are back
in compliance. )

Regards,
Tim

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 07/05/2009, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>  > Perhaps it would make sense to break down the big
>  > THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt into a separate file for each notice. Then,
>  > using some magic at build time, each module could only pull the notices
>  > for the dependencies it actually uses into it's jar. This has a couple
>  > of benefits - we only need to maintain 1 copy of each third party notice
>  > at the top level and we also minimise the number of notices in each jar
>  > file so they don't expand in size any more than they need to.

The phrase "number of notices" presumably means "number of entries in
the NOTICE file", as there should only be one NOTICE file in each jar.

>  I think the expression is "thanks for volunteering" :-)
>
>  Seriously though, I agree that optimizing the required license/notices
>  for each JAR makes sense; but that's unlikely to make it to the top of
>  my to-do list soon.

SVN is regarded as a distribution, so that must also have a NOTICE and
LICENSE file at the top level (i.e. trunk, each branch and tag) which
obviously needs to include all the 3rd party notices.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Perhaps it would make sense to break down the big
THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt into a separate file for each notice. Then,
using some magic at build time, each module could only pull the notices
for the dependencies it actually uses into it's jar. This has a couple
of benefits - we only need to maintain 1 copy of each third party notice
at the top level and we also minimise the number of notices in each jar
file so they don't expand in size any more than they need to.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin