Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2016/10/18 11:25:42 UTC

Mini-Proposal: Make it easier to contribute to the contributing to Spark Guide

Right now the wiki isn't particularly accessible to updates by external
contributors. We've already got a contributing to spark page which just
links to the wiki - how about if we just move the wiki contents over? This
way contributors can contribute to our documentation about how to
contribute probably helping clear up points of confusion for new
contributors which the rest of us may be blind to.

If we do this we would probably want to update the wiki page to point to
the documentation generated from markdown. It would also mean that the
results of any update to the contributing guide take a full release cycle
to be visible. Another alternative would be opening up the wiki to a
broader set of people.

I know a lot of people are probably getting ready for Spark Summit EU (and
I hope to catch up with some of y'all there) but I figured this a
relatively minor proposal.
--
Cell : 425-233-8271

Re: Mini-Proposal: Make it easier to contribute to the contributing to Spark Guide

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.
The advice to avoid idioms that may not be universally understood is good.
My further issue with the misuse of "straw-man" (which really is not, or
should not be, separable from "straw-man argument") is that a "straw-man"
in the established usage is something that is always intended to be a
failure or designed to be obviously and fatally flawed.  That's what makes
it fundamentally different from a trial balloon or a first crack at
something or a prototype or an initial design proposal -- these are all
intended, despite any remaining flaws, to have merits that are likely worth
pursuing further, whereas a straw-man is only intended to be knocked apart
as a way to preclude and put an end to further consideration of something.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Fred Reiss <fr...@gmail.com>.
Great idea! If the developer docs are in github, then new contributors who
find errors or omissions can update the docs as an introduction to the PR
process.

Fred

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 if the docs can be exposed more.

On 19 Oct 2016 2:04 a.m., "Shivaram Venkataraman" <

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.