Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Miłosz Tylenda <mt...@o2.pl> on 2010/10/02 13:05:03 UTC

Slow JDBC test suite

Hi all,

I noticed the JDBC tests got much slower recently. When I compare the times with logs I have from last days of August (unfortunately I don't have any from September), the slowdown is around 3x. A similar slowdown is visible on Hudson builds too if you compare 2.0 and 2.1 builds.

A log message which now is

openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - Using dictionary class "org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary".

used to be

openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - Using dictionary class "org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary" (Apache Derby 10.5.3.0 - (8029
17) ,Apache Derby Embedded JDBC Driver 10.5.3.0 - (802917)).

The direct cause is we now pass a null connection to DBDictionaryFactory.newDBDictionary(JDBCConfiguration conf, String dclass, String props, Connection conn). I suspect this is related to the recently introduced DBCP datasources or JDBC 4 delegates but no luck with findings so far.

Does someone hear a ringing bell? Maybe you have test suite logs from September and can find out when this regression happened?

Regards,
Milosz

Re: Slow JDBC test suite

Posted by Miłosz Tylenda <mt...@o2.pl>.
Hi Donald,

I ran the tests today and got the same slowdown. I haven't noticed any OOM symptoms although I use the Sun JDK on a 2GB Linux. Maybe the overall memory consumption has increased, I once had to close Eclipse during the "mvn install" but I am not very sure about that.

It looks to me that all JDBC tests are degraded equally rather then a few taking very long.

Interestingly, when I run only JDBC tests, on Oracle, I don't see any slowdown. Also, when I launch an individual test case from Eclipse, the log message shows database/driver version as usual.

Sorry for a response that late, I was out of computers recently.

Cheers,
Milosz

Re: Slow JDBC test suite

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.