Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/11/30 16:56:31 UTC

Ways to put back the specialpurpose components in the R13.07 branch

Hi,

Initially I wanted to write a complete email with several concerned points. I changed my mind and prefer to discuss each point in separated emails,
though in the same thread. It will be easier.

The 1st point which comes to my mind is what to exactly put back in release branch.

We can't put the current trunk HEAD state, because we will face the rule which says that we shall not add new features in release branches.  And
obviously there are some since we freezed this branch and moreover few (at least EntityQuery) are blockers. So I guess we should put the state of the
specialpurpose components in trunk when the branch was freezed http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1505933 and then add the bug fixes
since https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12329808

We cannot rely only on Jira, at least it's a start.

Jacques

Re: Ways to put back the specialpurpose components in the R13.07 branch

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
4) Cut the special purpose loose and let interested parties set up
sub-projects to work on them and release versions of individual special
purpose projects as required to support new releases of the trunk.
Focus on getting the core and framework into a stable well documented
product with:
- a clear roadmap,
- frequent releases of production quality code that most people are
running in production
- a clear documented process for adding new special purpose modules or
user customizations
and work towards a community that is not running private forks of the
trunk because the releases are not usable in production and do not get
new bug fix releases in a suitable timeframe.

The support of special purpose modules will be up to the community that
wants to use them.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Ways to put back the specialpurpose components in the R13.07 branch

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
It will move the project forward towards more community involvement if
the core and framework get the attention that they need and the non-core
modules are free to attract their own following and start to have
independent lives with independent roadmaps, release schedules and
communities within the Apache OFBiz umbrella.

If someone wants the project management module to run under 13.07.x,
then they can assemble a team, fix it and release a PM module that is
guaranteed by them to work with 13.07.x. or pay someone to do it.
If no one cares, why should the core team spend time on it.

It also avoids the contentious and someone demoralizing arguments about
"who represents the community" for these peripheral modules.
Save the fights and energy for the core and framework roadmap.

My feeling is that OFBiz is too big a project and needs to be broken
down into manageable chunks that can be run in a more transparent and
planned way.

Splitting out modules that do not affect the core will help in a number
of ways.
- force the framework team to be more transparent and have a clear plan
about what new functionality is coming and when.
- force the core team to look at extensibility in a transparent way -
what is immutable within a release, what are the immutable APIs, what is
the process to get an enhancement included in the roadmap,
- allow the core to get a more frequent release pattern by reducing the
number of things that have to be done to get a release out. I would like
to get people actually running releases not having everyone forced to
build and test their own versions to get the last year's worth of bug
fixes. If there was a monthly or bi-monthly release pattern with
emergency releases for security bugs, adoption would be a lot easier.
- focus everyone on how extensions must be constructed to play nicely
with the core and each other.
- allow expertise to be developed in sub-projects that are small enough
for new developers to start without compromising the core. OFBiz is a
big chunk to chew on.
This will also force each group to offer its own warranty which is a big
job in the current structure and contributes to the slow release schedule.
- allow the core team to get focused on the core and not get distracted
by all kinds of requests for special purpose modules

and so on.

Ron

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Ha OK, I see, I was biased indeed. I still believe we miss them :p

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 07/01/2015 12:47, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Jan 7, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
>
>> Nobody like the 2nd alternative it seems.
> ?

It's obvious we (the OFBIz community) are missing some components in specialpurpose. Maybe not all...

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I think a bit about this today. There is one alternative. We could decide to let the future R13.07 releases as is the R13.07.01, ie without the
specialpurpose components but ecommerce. And we would freeze a new branch where we would keep some of the specialpurpose components disabled, but not
all, as Jacopo suggested.

Advantages: it's easy to do, we have not to collect and apply the specialpurpose bug fixes in trunk since 12329808. The R13.07 releases will be
consistent, no need to explain to our users what happened between R13.07.01 and R13.07.02
Drawbacks: when we will deliver our next freezed branch releases our users could ask why now some of the specialpurpose components are back. But this
is easy to explain. Of course the R13.07 releases will always miss the specialpurpose components but ecommerce.

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Hi,