Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/04/29 01:20:24 UTC

[Velocity Wiki] Update of "ReleaseProcess" by WillGlassHusain

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Velocity Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by WillGlassHusain:
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/ReleaseProcess

The comment on the change is:
make some updates with TLP info

  The information on this page is intended for Velocity committers, not as end-user documentation.

- (Note - some of the specific paths in this document are out of date now that Velocity has left Jakarta and gone TLP)
+ (Note - some of the specific instructonsin this document are out of date now that Velocity has left Jakarta and gone TLP.  In particular this applies to details on the Velocity site).

  == Building and Releasing the Velocity Engine ==

  The Velocity project currently is built using Apache ant. This is the canonical build and in case of doubt, the results of this build win. While it is possible to build  Velocity using Apache maven, the inherently instable nature of Maven 1.x and the not yet proven reliablity of Maven 2.x make us feel that maven is not yet 'ready' to be used as primary build tool for Velocity.

- Velocity up to and including Version 1.4 uses only Apache ant as its build tool. Starting with Velocity 1.5, we will still build the actual release archives with ant but nightly builds and especially the web site located at http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/engine/ will be built using Apache maven V1. Using Maven buys us a number of interesting reports and metrics during the build process (such as automated Changelogs, metrics, web-formatted test reports and so on).
+ Velocity up to and including Version 1.4 uses only Apache ant as its build tool. Starting with Velocity 1.5, we will still build the actual release archives with ant but nightly builds and especially the web site located at http://velocity.apache.org/ will be built using Apache maven V1. Using Maven buys us a number of interesting reports and metrics during the build process (such as automated Changelogs, metrics, web-formatted test reports and so on).

  Apache Maven uses a XML file called `project.xml` and a number of properties files to control its build process.

  === Locations and Pathes for Velocity ===

  || '''Purpose''' || '''File system location (on minotaur)''' || '''web location''' ||
- || Release location || /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity || Mirrored through the Apache mirror system, available through http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_velocity.cgi ||
+ || Release location || /www/www.apache.org/dist/velocity/engine || Mirrored through the Apache mirror system, available through http://velocity.apache.org/download.cgi ||
- || Alpha, Beta, RC location || /www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity || http://cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/ ||
- || Nightly location || /www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/nightly || http://cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/nightly/ ||
  || Maven repository release location || /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/velocity || http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/velocity/ ||
  || Maven repository snapshot location || /www/cvs.apache.org/repository/velocity || http://cvs.apache.org/repository/velocity/ ||

@@ -26, +24 @@

   * maven site:deploy -- builds the complete maven site and deploys it to the apache servers.

- Due to the fact that deployment happens to the Apache web staging server from which the actual servers (which are jakarta.apache.org) mirror the content every few
+ Due to the fact that deployment happens to the Apache web staging server from which the actual servers (which are velocity.apache.org) mirror the content every few
- hours or so, changes are not immediately visible. If you want to check whether the content arrived ok on the apache server, use the 209.237.227.195 trick (which is using the IP address and port 80 as your proxy host. Then access http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/ and you get the content directly from minotaur).
+ hours or so, changes are not immediately visible. If you want to check whether the content arrived ok on the apache server, use the 209.237.227.195 trick (which is using the IP address and port 80 as your proxy host. Then access http://velocity.apache.org/ and you get the content directly from minotaur).

  === Snapshot deployment using Maven ===

@@ -115, +113 @@

   * Copy the sixteen files mentioned above to your personal directory on people.apache.org using secure copy (scp).
   * log onto people.apache.org
   * make sure that your umask is 002! If not, please enter `umask 002`
-  * create the distribution directory: `/www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/velocity/velocity-<new version>`. Make sure that its permissions are set to 775!
+  * create the distribution directory: `/www/www.apache.org/dist/velocity/engine/velocity-<new version>`. Make sure that its permissions are set to 775!
   * move the .tar.gz and .zip related files from your personal directory to the distribution directory.
   * copy the .jar (and md5 related files) to  /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/velocity/jars
   * go to the distribution directory.
@@ -134, +132 @@

     from your release tree:

  {{{
- svn copy -m 'Release <released version>' copy https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/engine/trunk https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/engine/tags/ENGINE_<released_version>
+ svn copy -m 'Release <released version>' https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/trunk https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/tags/ENGINE_<released_version>
  }}}

  (The older tags are a bit in disarray. This will get cleaned up in the future).

  === Build the site docs ===
+
+ (This section is out of date)

   * remove the `bin` and `target` directories one more time.
   * As the site is built using maven, do the following preparations:
@@ -162, +162 @@

    * Due to the volatile nature of the maven site building process, it is strongly recommended, that you also back up the distribution tree built on the apache.org web site by generating an archive of the tree located under `.../releases/engine/<release version>`.

  === Post-upload preparations ===
+
+ (This section is out of date)

   * Change the version in `build.properties` to read <released version + 1>-dev. Check this change in immediately using `svn commit build.properties`!

@@ -189, +191 @@

   * Announcement mails should be sent to the following addresses:
    * Apache Announce list: announce at apache.org
-   * Jakarta Announce list: announcements at jakarta.apache.org
-   * Velocity Developmnet list: velocity-dev at jakarta.apache.org
+   * Velocity Development list: dev at velocity.apache.org
-   * Velocity User list: velocity-user at jakarta.apache.org
+   * Velocity User list: velocity-user at velocity.apache.org

  Announcements should have your 'apache.org' email addresse as sender because the first two recipients discard everything not coming from an apache.org address. You should also use the same announcement text (or something closely resembling it) that you put into the news.xml file on the site.