Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Yashavanth Prakash <ya...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/24 07:00:29 UTC

Handling custom exceptions

Hi

I want to know how to send custom exceptions from
server side to client other than cathcing custom
exception and throwing the Axis Fault

Any related documentation or earlier mails about this
would be very helpful

Background:
we are building a webservice based component. As the
webservice interacts with other applications which
throw  app specific error, we want to pass the same to
the client for further handling

Any help/suggestions in this regard would be really
helpful
Thanks
Yash

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Handling custom exceptions

Posted by James Wilson <wi...@ociweb.com>.
<my-opinion>Any production service should be sourced from a WSDL!</my-opinion>

You will need to define a fault message on your port bindings of the WSDL:
<wsdl:definitions ....>
  <wsdl:types>
     <xsd:schema>
           <xsd:import ....><!-- type definition in here-->
     </xsd:schema>
  </wsdl:types>

  <wsdl:message name="CustomException">
     <wsdl:port name="fault1" element="typefromschema:CustomExceptionElement"/>
  </wsdl:message>
  .
  .<!-- other messages -->
  .
  <wsdl:portType name="ThePort">
    <wsdl:operation name="getFoo">
	<wsdl:input name="in" message="tns:FooInMsg"/>
	<wsdl:output name="out" message="tns:FooOutMsg"/>
	<wsdl:fault name="CustomEx" message="tns:CustomException"/>
  </wsdl:portType>
  .
  .
  .