Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ralph Einfeldt <ra...@uptime-isc.de> on 2003/12/22 15:46:19 UTC

RE: (OT) Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Sun want's to sell their Sun ONE software, so the
licence for the free J2EE SDK is restricted. (For
internal use and development)

(But this is getting quite off topic for this list)

RE: (OT) Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Posted by Michael Coughlan <mp...@yahoo.com>.
> Sun want's to sell their Sun ONE software, so the
> licence for the free J2EE SDK is restricted. (For
> internal use and development)
>
> (But this is getting quite off topic for this list)

Thanks for the reply. Now it's clear to me.

As James stated in his last email "Sun's implementation also uses Tomcat" as
does JBoss.

So many people are using Tomcat with J2EE as part of a greater bundle, that
I bet it's a common newbie assumption that Tomcat alone supports J2EE.

Clearly it does not.

The fact that the Sun J2EE is a reference implementation and not meant for
production came as another bonus surprise - directly relevant to my bogus
J2EE install anyway.

I think that all this information is on-topic and very important. Many
people who are new to Tomcat grab the .tar installer from the Jakarta site,
and come to this list for immeadiate help.

I think it's a great thing for the archives to show that if you want
servlets with full J2EE functionality then you had best stop that Tomcat
install and download the JBoss installer (or some competing bundled product)
instead, and yet don't worry. You'll still be using Tomcat in the end.

Sure, all this information is on the web, but I believe it's purposefully
convoluted because everyone's trying to make a buck. Sun wants to give and
sell the SDK. Tomcat is free but rebundled with commercial products (and
semi-commercial products with deliberately little documentation - aka
JBoss).

As if it all wasn't confusing enough. But thanks to you all on the list, now
I know the score.

Thanks again,

MPC