Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> on 2001/08/01 08:45:41 UTC

Re: localization & creating non-HTML dispaly formats with Embperl? (ie, WML, XML)

> some of the more recent web application frameworks (ie,
> Apache::PageKit, AxKit), tout one of their benefits as being the
> ability to generate multiple display formats easily because they
> separate information, business logic and display logic.
>
> I was wondering how easy it was to create WML, XML, PDF as well as
> HTML for a set of webpages.

You can do a separation of information, business logic and display logic
with Embperl too, but don't have to. Embperl 1.x allows you to embed Perl
code in html, so you can restrict yourself to using only a small subset of
Perl, that is necessary to dispaly the page. All the code you put in a Perl
module and the data can come from where ever you like, like a database.
That's basicly the same as TemplateToolkit does it, the main difference is
that you are using Perl instead of TT's own language. Embperl 1.x don't have
a build in XSLT as AxKit has. With EmbperlObject you have a very powerfull
framework to put the pieces together.

Embperl 2.x have much more possiblities. You can define your own taglibs
that your designers use to trigger the code your programmers have written,
so you have a separation of code and design. You could even define tags that
are similar to TT's ones, so you have the same way of creating pages.
Embperl 2.0 will also include support for XML and XSLT (which isn't in the
current beta yet). So with Embperl 2.0 you have the choice which is the best
technic for which part of your site.

At the moment there are no direct support for different languages, but tags
for switching languages could be easily implemented with EMbperl 2.0 (and
will be at some point of the 2.0 developement). In Embperl 1.x you can use
the different ways that Perl provides to support localisation.

Hope this helps

Gerald

Re: embperl security info

Posted by Akshay Arora <ak...@5vs1.com>.
I think that most Embperl issues are really just Perl issues. I think
one can avoid most problems by making sure that the user input is
checked for double/single quotes, and backticks. Also I think it is good
if you don't interpolate any user data, by putting the input in double
quotes, or some other perl interpolation/execution method.

I've been a member of an internal web-site at my college that allowed
backticks to go out, and I was allowed to make any shell command as user
www. That should be one of first things to make sure the user can't do.

-Akshay

embperl security info

Re: Upload-problem with IE 2

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> Embperl 1.3.1

You should also upgrade Embperl to 1.3.3, because 1.3.3 handles errors in
CGI.pm much better

Gerald

Re: Upload-problem with IE

Posted by "Gerhard Egger <gerhard.egger@lindeverlag.at>" <ge...@lindeverlag.at>.
that worked, thank you!

Gerhard

Re: Upload-problem with IE

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Upload-problem with IE

Posted by "Gerhard Egger <gerhard.egger@lindeverlag.at>" <ge...@lindeverlag.at>.
hi all,

when uploading a file using our Embperl script
with a certain browser version (sorry i can't tell which)
the server-request quits with:

[Tue Jul 31 18:05:38 2001] [error] [31481]ERR:  44: Line 1: Setup of
CGI.pm failed: Malformed multipart POST

it works fine with all our (NS- & IE-) browsers, except that one.

Is there a fix?

i'm using
Embperl 1.3.1
CGI.pm 2.46

	G.

-----
thanks to everyone for their great job doing Embperl,
especially to Gerald.